FORD EXPLORER CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FILED OVER REAR AXLE BOLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FORD EXPLORER CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FILED OVER REAR AXLE BOLT

C4talyst

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbridge
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Capstone Law is in the process of filing a class-action suit against Ford concerning the rear subframe/bolt issue. I spoke with them last week and they are now accepting class representatives who have purchased affected Explorers, especially in California. If you are interested in signing on to this case as a named plaintiff, please contact Sairah Budhwani at the email below:

sairah.budhwani@capstonelawyers.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting
Ultimately, Ford implemented the four bolt subframe in only a small subset of the 2020 Ford Explorer STs with higher horsepower and torque ratings, the rollout for which immediately preceded the Class Vehicles,” the lawsuit states. “On information and belief, Ford willfully substituted the unsafe rear subframe assembly (with one rear axle mounting bolt) for the safer-as-designed four bolt assembly due to supply chain issues beginning in 2020 as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
SO since my Aviator has way more power and torque than an Explorer ST, I wonder what is under it?

Interesting
Ultimately, Ford implemented the four bolt subframe in only a small subset of the 2020 Ford Explorer STs with higher horsepower and torque ratings, the rollout for which immediately preceded the Class Vehicles,” the lawsuit states. “On information and belief, Ford willfully substituted the unsafe rear subframe assembly (with one rear axle mounting bolt) for the safer-as-designed four bolt assembly due to supply chain issues beginning in 2020 as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
SO since my Aviator has way more power and torque than an Explorer ST, I wonder what is under it?

All you have to do is look from the back. No need to jack, or get under the vehicle to determine if you have the one or two bolt rear subframe.

Good for them. It's about time someone tried to hold Ford accountable for that fiasco. I have been told frequently how foolish I was to purchase an early 2020 ST, but having the proper rear subframe was one benefit.

Interesting
I tried to check my Reserve but the subframe is obscured by the rear deflector and I have no intention of crawling under there. It is what it is. :D
Here is a picture (not mine) of the underside of a 2020 Aviator. 2020 Aviator Rear Deflector

Peter

All you have to do is look from the back. No need to jack, or get under the vehicle to determine if you have the one or two bolt rear subframe.
Any pics of either/both? Being a 2020 Aviator Grand Touring, mine is a very late 2020 build.
EDIT

You might check your Vin with ford and see if is has this sorry *** customer dissatisfaction program.

Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 9.44.25 AM.png

FWIW, there was no such recall on my 2020 Aviator.

Peter

Any pics of either/both? Being a 2020 Aviator Grand Touring, mine is a very late 2020 build.
EDIT
I just crawled under mine. It has that moulded fiber like dust cover but I could see the left bolt and almost see(but I could clearly feel) the right one.

I just crawled under mine. It has that moulded fiber like dust cover but I could see the left bolt and almost see(but I could clearly feel) the right one.
That's the rear air deflector I linked in post #7.

Peter

As far as I know, all 2020 MY Explorers and Aviators with the 6 Cylinder came with both bolts. I think it changed for the model year 2021.

That's the rear air deflector I linked in post #7.

Peter
Yep, I just wanted to mention it because even with it there, you can tell there is the brace with the 2nd bolt.
I backed into a parking space and backed onto the parking curb thing, and put the Aviator in "Deep" mode so it raised up. Then crawled under the back. Tons of room!

We're on to the third lawsuit regarding the single rear subframe bolt.

"The lawsuit claims that this singular bolt can experience extreme stress that could cause it to break or fail, which could lead to the rear driveshaft assembly disconnecting and causing damage to the exhaust system or exhaust, and potentially even cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle and crash."

"The lawsuit states, “Despite the redesign, the Rear Subframe Assembly that is actually installed in each Class Vehicle is not the newly designed assembly, but is the prior designed assembly Ford needed to redesign to accommodate higher horsepower and torque rated Explorer ST vehicles – the one that is defective.”

Thanks for posting that Rick. I was about to do the same about an hour ago but got sidetracked.

Peter

Back