Ford explorer front end issue, shaking bad on road | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford explorer front end issue, shaking bad on road

nopistons93

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
On the way to school this morning, I went over the train tracks in the road as everyother day, except this time the front end shook violently for about 100 feet then stopped. Thought possibly could be caused from other ****ty spots in the road, however, when I hit another bump the same shaking happened.

I pulled over and checked to make sure nothing was obviously wrong, broken, shattered ect ect and also checked to ensure the tire was tightened properly. Everything seemed to be in working order, and I finished driving to school. On the way back, nothing out of whack happened, but if I turn I do slightly feel the shaking occurring again.

My thoughts are this, if it was the wheel bearing, the shaking wouldn't stop after I hit the tracks and it would be constantly broken and messed up. It COULD be the CV joint, but when I checked the axle underneath, the play seemed to be within the usual allowances. What do you think could be causing this issue so I can fix it ASAP? The truck before this happened was making slight WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP noises as if the bearings were rubbing constantly even when going straight soooo... I don't really know what it could be.

What do oyu guys think? Its a 1998 XLT with the auto 4wd :salute::exporange

yea i just replaced all the shocks, think i broke somethin when i hit those train tracks? again nothing is hanging or obviously broken so im not sure it be tie rods or anything. i also doubt its the cv joints at this point. it also shakes when taking turns at about 45 to 50 now. i also replace front sway bar bushings and rods so its not that either.

Sounds like a Loose bushing or warn out TRE like Jtsmith said. Nothing would be hanging with those. It's not even evident (by purely visible means) intill its completely broke. The only way I know how to check that is Jack up the Front suspension and try and wiggle all those things. Also try to move the tire back and forth horizontally and vertically, if anything is noticeably loose, have it checked out. It's no fun having a TRE break on the road. :( Good luck.

Back