What issues do the 2002-2005 Explorers have? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What issues do the 2002-2005 Explorers have?

jskingry

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Hello all,

I recently sold my 1995 explorer and am looking to replace it with a 2002 to 2005 model and had a couple of questions:

1. Is there a reliability difference between engines, the V8 looks nice but am wondering if it is as reliable as the 4.0 V6 like my old explorer had.
2. Are there any known transmission problems in this year/engine range.

That is all the questions I had, I like the explorer and have decided on getting another one, just want to make sure I get one that will be as reliable as my old one.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've moved, and renamed your thread to get more responses. Any model could have problems. Check to see what the recalls, and TSBs are as well as thoroughly checking out the vehicles. Don't take the word of the seller or the seller's mechanic. They are not out for your best interest.

Hello all,

I recently sold my 1995 explorer and am looking to replace it with a 2002 to 2005 model and had a couple of questions:

1. Is there a reliability difference between engines, the V8 looks nice but am wondering if it is as reliable as the 4.0 V6 like my old explorer had.
2. Are there any known transmission problems in this year/engine range.

That is all the questions I had, I like the explorer and have decided on getting another one, just want to make sure I get one that will be as reliable as my old one.

Thanks.

V8 is more reliable than the V6, by far.

And yes, LOTS of known transmission problems. It's probably the weakest link. Try using the Search button above, you'll like it!

the 4.6 is a far better motor.

Lots of rear end and rear hub problems.

Our '04 is the best truck i have owned, and i would buy it again, even with a 1600 trans bill. . .

If you have a choice V8 is the way to go, a lot more power and only 1mpg difference, the basic design is over 10 years old. pretty bullet proof.

i have seen about 5 junkyard 3rd gens that where totals, and everyone had an intact passenger compartment. I don’t know any more about them other than being in the yard so I have no idea what happen . . .

transmissions, rear end whine, and rear wheel bearings are the big ones

smaller issues is the oxydation of the paint on the door pillars, and the possibly of a crack in the rear hatch near the emblem.

If you have the option of getting an 05 v8 go for it; 05's come w/ AdvanceTrac & RSC standard, and have less issues.

V8 > V6 in every category. The old 4.0L motor your 95 X had is not the same; you had a 4.0L OHV engine, and the current 4.0L is an SOHC.

I have the V6 and I am happy with it. It has been bullet proof so far. The V8 is probably good too but the V6 is not a slouch. EPA estimates show the mileage as being about equal but in the real world the V6 is probably going to do a bit better. If you read threads on here the anecdotal evidence bears this out.

i have an 04 with the 4.0L flex fuel motor in it before that i had a 2000 with the 4.0L ohv motor i love them both you will def notice a big power diffrence with the sohc motor and the ride is alot smoother with the coil springs vers. the torsion bar/leaf springs that came in the older explorer. i have never had a major problem with either of my explorer's and i drive them hard but i do maintain them exactly by fords specs

I have a 2005 xlt w/third row leather, its one nice ride. Ive got the v6 flex, its very peppy, i raced some *** the other day in his stupid Civic, im sure he wont bother me anymore;)

V6 has 210 hp
V8 has 239 hp

Not much different hp wise, though i would look at getting the class 4 hitch on either motor cause they come with the 3.73 LS diff

Chris

rear end seals are an issue
every vehical will have its problems

i get alot better gas milage then a v6, there ok but work harder to push the same weight

plus nothing beats a v8 sound...

Back