Ford Explorer with a 4405 Borg Warner transfer case issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer with a 4405 Borg Warner transfer case issue.

littlehawk2001

Reaction score
City, State
Sheldon Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I have a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT. Its an autoomatic. Electric Shift. I was driving down the highway and everything locked up and skidded down the Highway. I took the transfer case(4405 borg warner) out and noticed the shift fork was broke. I bought a new one and put it in. When I drive it now it gets to be about 30mph and then when its is slowing down or down shifting it makes a terrible screeching sound until I stop. I checked the speed sensors and even got a new one just in case, but I don't think thats the problem. I have opened up the transfer case many times and everything looks ok now but still having the screeching sound. I tried manually turning it with pliers and still nothing. Can it be in the transmition now that everything locked up when the shift fork broke? I really need help. I bought it 2 years ago and have been making payments on a vehicle I can't drive. Nobody around here has a 4405 Borg Warner because they all say that 1997 Ford Explorers were the #1 cash for clunker and good luck finding one. Oh it also has rear posse. Please help me out asap, thank you all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your shift rail bore is worn. read through that diary link, it is a common problem. You'll have to get a new case half or two.

Anyone know where I can get a Borg Warner 4405 from at a descent price?

You may want to check out Transfer Case Express, a salvage yard, or eBay. Or just rebuild the one you have.

Guess actually all that it needs is the viscous coupling and chain replaced (and any associated bearings etc.). Just wondering if it is more cost efficient to fix that or install another t.c.

Where can the viscous coupling and chain be bought at? I can't find them anywhere. Sorry for dragging up an old post.

No viscous coupling in a 4405. tbtrans.com has chains, etc. Riversidegear.com has some too.

Read up the page, more vendors mentioned there.

Back