Ford Paint Job | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Paint Job

Being something of a student of auto painting I have come to the following conclusions. Millions of cars leads the mfgr's to try and do NO more than is ABSOLUTELY necessary as far as quantity. (1 million cars x 2 oz of paint... well - you do the math) They all use top notch materials. I've seen, in the past 48 hours, a crappy new Ford paint job (orange peel clear) a crappy Chevy JOb on an Impala (REALLY bad orange peel in the clear) A beautiful Ford job on an Expedition (one of the best factory jobs from Ford I have ever seen) and a beautiful Job on a Chevy Yukon. There are no Monday paint jobs anymore, all done robotically... why the diff ? Beats me. Anyway every auto mfgr has problems and also delivers good results now and then. Think back to your childhood, paint didn;t look as good as it does today 10 years after it left the factory!

Happy Exploring

Chris
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're right!! Mine is pretty good with the exception on the roof, especially in front of my sunroof. The paint there is starting to thin.

the paint on my '95 is in excellent shape (I think it's Ultimate Red) so far been the only car I've owned with good paint, there is one spot where it was repainted after an accident that's questionable but overall it's in good shape, now the black paint on the pillars is gone but that's an easy fix.

My old '76 Chevelle had the original paint (sky blue) and by the time I got rid of it the paint had just started to fail badly with rust under the paint. But then it ha d sat outside for 24 years (parents bought it new) and it had been waxed about once a year. Age caught up with it and UV damage.

My '86 Pontiac 6000 had a really crappy Maaco paintjob that was peeling, it was a maroon color but would turn brown after it got wet no matter how many coats of $$$ wax you put on it.

My paint was perfect when I bought it last year... but in the past year the hood (97' green/tan EB) has cracked extensively and now the doors are pitted with scratches from being parked at school (more my bad luck than bad manufac. paint). When I use colored waxes the hood will look good for a few days and then the small cracks will reappear. What gives? Its not that old...

help.gif

My '91 Sport in medium mettalic blue was perfect...

My '93 XLT in (rare) Performance Red is still damn near flawless. It's garaged in the pole barn but has been around the block a few times.

My '96 Limited w/ pearl 'fleshtone' is purty much purfect too. Also washed and waxed regulary.

On the other hand a friend's '93 XLT in dark mettalic green has been peeling all over the place and he takes very good care of it. Another friend has '96 Sport in black and the paint sucks on it. He babies it but (hey black is bad but really sucks to maintain) it looks like someone threw dust at it while paint was wet and has "orange peel" in places.

Having owned a body shop a long time ago...

Paint formulae and ambient humidity and temp are what makes or breaks a good painted finish.

Chrysler has been repainting silver Dodge Stealths and Dakotas for years for free because the paint formula was bad.

It'd be interesting to know what all colors are represented by ya'll. Ford was repainting '88-92' Tbirds and Cougars in sliver, black and green for free.

Sometimes the best thing to do is just raise hell with the FACTORY and maybe ya gets a free repaint?

Check NHTSA web site for paint problems on yor specific models. Great source and better than TSB's alone.

My 93 X has a crappy paint job, its thin in some areas and chipping away on other areas.

My 96 X has a good paint job, I just hate the bottom pannels how dirty and scratched they can get (I don't have running boards, nor want them) but then again it is in white.

My parents 97 Expedition though has an amazing paint job in my eyes. Beautifull all around, jet black its just :D to me.

spider web cracks on hood and runs on doors...thought it was just me....

its starting to peel on the roof in the "treads" ? where the water runs down, and on the lip of the rear door (hatch) at the top where it nears the roof other then that its great except for those nicks and scratches which u dont see with a good waxing.

The paint on my '00 hood has cracked, and looks like the paint booth used too much hardener in the paint.

-B

Back