Ford Ranger Tailgate - Basic Maintenance with Pictures | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Ranger Tailgate - Basic Maintenance with Pictures

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..So, you are having trouble getting your Ranger tailgate to open and it's progressively getting worse..

..Before you get to the point where your tailgate will no longer open, take a few minutes to do some basic maintenance and your tailgate will soon operate better than new..:biggthump

..The below work was done on my 95 Ranger and this is just what I do. Your tailgate may be different..

..Unlike many other Ford Trucks I've owned, this tailgate does not have the notorious plastic clips that are the usual suspects of a poorly functioning tailgate..

..You will first need a couple items before you start..

T-12 Torx bit
Lubricant - WD40, Motorcycle chain lube, Lithium spray, etc.

..I prefer a non oily lubricant but for this I only had a can of "Deep Creep" at hand..

1) Remove your access panel located on the inside of your tailgate.

(If you have a bed liner they may have also covered the access panel so you need to remove that first.)

0618120756.jpg

2) You want to lube this latch. (You do not need to remove the access panel to lube this latch)

0618120756a.jpg

..But it helps while making sure the inside of the latch gets lubed too..;) ..The inside of the latch is where the gunk can usually be found that needs to be cleaned away.

0618120759a.jpg

3) Get to know your handle..You are familiar with the outside operation of the handle but the inside is just as simple in operation. It is in a "U" shape and works as a lever..

79603-001.jpg

4) Next is the scissor mechanism. (Probably not it's Official Name)..Your handles "U" shape actually levers against the scissor mechanism which in turn pulls the rods that retract your latches..

..Now you can lube the scissor mechanism and the handle while checking for debris or heavy wear on these items..

..This is the scissor mechanism I speak of in it's resting position..

0618120759.jpg

..This is another picture of it in it's resting position..

0618120801a.jpg

..This picture is a close up of the handle being pulled open putting the scissor mechanism in operation, which in turn pulls the rods which pull open the latches..

..If you look closely where the arrow is pointing, you will see it is pointing at the end of the black handle hitting dead center on the flange of the scissor mechanism..This is the preferred position.

0618120803.jpg

..This is where mine needed some adjustment..It was barely opening and was tough to pull the handle any further up...

..This picture points to a gap that quickly caught my eye between the handle and the scissor mechanism..The handle should be up close and run along side the mechanism..

0618120800a.jpg

...On mine, when you pulled the handle it's "U" shape had spread more to a "V" which was making it barely land on the flanges of the scissor mechanism..In fact, it was only touching the outside edge and if it flared open anymore the tailgate would not be operable..

..So I grabbed my channel locks and "pinched" the handle back into shape where it belonged..

0618120800.jpg

..The end of the handle "U" also needed a little more positioning..I used my screwdriver to pry the end of the handle from the left to the right in order to make it seat properly on the flange..

0618120805.jpg

..Note:

...I have never had to adjust the nuts on the rods of any tailgates I have done work on...After lubing and re-aligning the inside parts, the tailgate woks literally with one finger..You will swear it's broke it operates way to easy..:biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice write-up, Ted!

The scissor mechanism is subject to bending/failure.

Once it bends, you need to replace it - you can straighten it, but it will bend again. (Wonder how I know that...)

I had to make that same adjustment on my old '93... Great useful writeup! :thumbsup:

..Thanks guys...:salute:

..I'll have a few more Ranger write ups coming in the near future..;)

Back