Ford Tremor? I want one! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Tremor? I want one!

k1ckb0x3r

Reaction score
I was clicking through Explorer Undergrounds site when I ran across this: Dead Link Removed
It's an article about the Ford Tremor. I would KILL to have one of these things. There has got to be someway we can get them into production? They are definately putting the SPORT in SPORT Utility Vehicle. Did I hear someone say 380hp? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We can always hope. Ford did do the Lightning and this time around it took so hopefully soon we get a 380 hp explorer

------------------
Brian
97 XLT AWD V8

Actually, a lot of the features that are present on the Tremor will appear on the 2001 Explorer. I believe that Ford is making an all aluminum 4.6 DOHC for the Expedition/Navigator, but only the 4.6 SOHC for the Explorer. You never know, you may just see a Tremor being produced, limited numbers of course, in the near future.

------------------
Tim Y.
1996 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV 4x4

I saw a Tremor article in a car magazine a while ago (Motor Trend?). I knew I couldnt but one and Ford would never produce such a bas ass vehicle. So I made my own. I had my '96 V-8 at the time and was doing a lot of little things to perk it up. Then I went a put a powerdyne blower on it. What a difference! It was fun for a while but I wanted more. I had a lot of friends who do mustangs and other hop-ups. Now I've got a built 347 ford with a S trim Vortech on it. I figure I'm making around 500hp at the rear tires. I'm seeing 0-60 times in the mid to upper 4's! NOW I LOVE THIS THING!!! I still have quite a bit of tuning to do (and eventually a smaller pulley for more boost). My over all goal is to beat Viper GTS's in the 1/4. I've run at Moroso in S. FLA from time to time. But not with the new engine yet. My best run on the original motor was a 14.4@96. Now I should be doing 11's@whoknows.
(The three vette's who've tried me suffered bad)

You are making around 500hp at the rear tires? I am impressed, but it is hard to believe. Did you drop it any? Also have you blown your rear yet? I know the 8.8 is tough, but 500 hp tough? What block is that? A 347 is a 5.7 litre right? Is that still the 302 block bored with a bigger crank? How much PSI does the blower put out? Your truck sounds great. I checked your pictures, but I could not see what was written on the upper intake. What does it now do in the quarter?

Dead Link Removed

About the Tremor: I heard that Ford was considering the Tremor as competition for the GMC Typhoon. Now that the Typhoon and Cyclone have been discontinued the competition doeas not exist, however the 2001 date for the Tremor makes since. At the SEMA show Chevy announced that they will make a Chevy Blazer Xtreme Force. I believe that it is rumored that this vehicle will take place of the GMC Typhoon. I imagine some argue that the S-10 Extreme Force is the replacement for the GMC Syclone. At any rate the competition has been renewed. It should be interesting to see what turns out.

Has anyone seen the saleen explorer??? Here is the site. Dead Link Removed

You can also type saleen explorer in at a search engine.

**Hope this is my next truck**

Troll,

11 second quarter mile? In a 5 thousand pound truck? Assuming you had an E.T. of 125 mph, you would need in excess of 800 ponies under the hood. I'm not saying you can't do 11's in an Explorer but….

What is your ET and what is your truck's weight? Assuming you haven't stripped it and, by the looks of the photos on your web site, you have not, I'll assume it's around 5000 lbs. I'm also guessing that in order to do the quarter in 11's you'll ET at 125 MPH. Of course this is just a guess because I don’t know your gear setup.

I think you would be very hard pressed to beat a Viper GTS. Motor Trend clocks the GTS at 0-60 in 4.1 and low 12's in the quarter. Were talking a 3300-pound car with a 450 HP 8.0 litter V-10 with a 6 speed gear box.

I live for speed and if I thought there was a way, without mortgaging the house, to get my Explorer to do 11's in the quarter and still keep it derivable, I would do it in a heartbeat. I hope you prove my skepticism unwarranted.

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

this is to all the doubters of the troll's explorer. i built this truck for him. the truck did not make 500 h.p. to the back tires. it made 392 h.p. this was done on a dynojet dyno in 85 degree "south florida air" and 5 pounds of boost. with this power the truck will go 12.50 @ 110mph. the truck weighs 4250 pounds the same as a lightning truck. this is how i know exactly how fast it will go. after we make a couple of passes we will bring the boost up to 12 pounds this will bring pwer well over that 500 h.p. mark. i dont understand why this is so hard to believe. this truck has a crawford built 347 c.i. with a steel crank and rods, stage 2 canfield heads a custom cam and fully ported intake. this type of set-up makes 650-750 h.p. in a mustang all day long. the motor in the explorer is de-tuned for street use. once the boost is in the truck it will run 11's no problem. the truck has good tracktion and pulls harder than you could believe.
we built a lightnig truck some years back and with less than 500 h.p. to the tires. it went 11.43 @ 116 mph at 4280 pounds and then went on to run a 10.23 @ 129 mph at the same weight with some more mods. the lightning also had a built stock 8.8 rear end same as troll's explorer. not only am i sure he will never break it, but i will give him a 9 inch if he does. if anyone has any other doubts let troll know.
p.s. i am building a mustang for troll as well. that thing will be unbelievable!

I can't speak for anyone else but my doubt in the accuracy of your numbers is founded in physics. That is to say, if you wish to accelerate a 4280-pound vehicle at such a rate as to cause it to be travailing at a speed of 129 MPH at the end of a quarter mile, you need to produce 851 HP. Of course this is an estimate. We are not taking into consideration temperature, humidity, wind speed and its drag on the vehicle. But, the 851 HP estimate is very close. Have you actually raced your truck or are you estimating your trap speed and ET? Because if your truck did the quarter at 110 MPH, at a weight of 4250 pounds you would need about 524 HP. And if you wanted to add just 5 MPH to your trap speed, you would need to produce 75 more ponies. Now, I'm not saying it can't be done. Only, you can't circumnavigate physics. Sure you can get a 4250-pound truck to do the quarter at 130 MPH. It's just going to take a whole hell of a lot of horses to do it. At 392 HP, the fastest you can hope to go through the traps is 99.85 MPH. This web site is about the exchanging of information and I hope I'm not offending you with my cynicism. It's only that your numbers are just not possible based on my calculations.

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

I am exited about the new generation Explorers. Well....sort of curious about how much power it can generate. Nissan Motors just released their new V6 engine that will power up the 2001 Pathfinder/Infiniti Qx4. According to the specs, it can generate 240 base hp (not sure how much rpm) and 265 lbs. feet of torque at 3200 rpm.

NoBoundaries: from what I know the 4.6 DOHC will go to the new product called "Baby Navigator", which will take the place of the Mercury Mountaineer. Correct me if I am wrong.

Unless you have done it before don’t talk just do it. That is the business of street racing and building high performance cars and trucks. We don’t need to talk about how much HP it takes we just do it. Ok. If you have any problems with that I don’t care because I am not all talk I do unlike most people.

Troll,

Like I said in my previous post, I'm not trying to offend you. I just want to make sure we are sharing facts. If you make a comment on this site like "My explorer can do 11 second quarter miles" you're going to be asked to back that up. Nobody is calling you a liar so you need not get defensive. I just what to know the details of what you did to your Explorer so I might learn something. If you're not interested in sharing information but only in bragging, this may not be the site for you. I for one welcome your input.

As far as just doing it is concerned, I have modified a 67 Buick Special, 78 Trans Am, 81 BMW 518, VW GTI and a 300 ZX turbo. I'm currently working on buying a 91 Eagle TSi to race in the 2001 Solo 2 events. I have worked on everything from 1.8 litter 4 cylinders to 6.6 litter V8s. I have also put many hours into my Explorer Sport. I live for speed man. And you DO need to talk about it. How can you seriously say that you don’t talk about it, you just do it? I probably spend more then 10 hours researching and talking to experts and other performance enthusiast for every hour of labor.

I don't want you getting upset. I would think you, like every gear-head I know, would love to talk shop, brag about what transmission you installed, or talk about how you reprogrammed the ECU so you can put off buying a top of the line Technology engine management system. Are you using an intercooler? If so, air to air or did you custom fabricated an air to liquid intercooler to get a pound or two extra boost? Inquiring minds want to know. If you got a trick, I want to know it. That’s what this is all about man.

Lighten up and share the knowledge!

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

Back