• Register Today It's free!

Found axles, need help!

Desert Rat

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
Black 92 4x4 XLT
I went down to a junk yard down in Wittman today in search of axles for my swap. I found some wagoneer axles that were in good shape but they had the fulltime 4x4 hubs and some had drum brakes on them and some had disks with missing locking hubs. So I drove over to a Ram Charger and decided to stop and look. It was older Ram Charger with 33's and both axles with both locking hubs, 6 lug, dana44 I think, and disks up front and drums in back. Ok what I want to know is if anyone knows any thing about these axles and if I can use these for my axle swap project? Oh yea I can probably get them for at the most $75 to$100 a piece but you pull the parts yourself. Thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

were the pumpkins driverside?

whats to know? alsong as they look dooable... i mean if you plan on leaving them the length they are. i couldnt tell you if they are shortenable or not.

id search auto-suppliers to see if you can get any replacment parts for those things. brakes in particular

From a Dodge, the pumpkin is on the pass side. Nothing special about them, keep looking.

edit: the rear had locking hubs?

The locking hubs are on the front axle, I looked up a front 88 wrangler axle on the internet because its the same width as the 8.8 and the lug pattern is the same. I found a couple however, they want about 550 bucks for just the front. So should I pay 550 for one jeep axle or 200 for two full width truck axles? I'm still debating on the work between the two options.

550 for a jeep axle? it better have someting good in it.. like 4.56s or something! i got my stock d44 front wagoneer (discs) for 180, and it was already pulled from the vehicle.

I think it had 3.73, but I have to do something cuz my u-joints are gone, and the diff is leaking oil when i jack up the truck or really whenever it wants to. The u-joint in the right spindle has no bearings in it so the shafts are pretty much screwd from not replacing them while still wheeling in it, but the 4x4 still works well. So either its a sas or bent beams.

since it sounds like ur in a rush, maybe go with a d30 from a jeep temporarilly? they're not only dirt cheap, but they also have the same bolt pattern so u dont need to go looking for new wheels ..

Back