Found... bad rear ABS sensor... Thanks! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Found... bad rear ABS sensor... Thanks!

MINERALGSVT

Reaction score
City, State
Carmel, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Saleen XP8
Just wanted to share that I found a bad rear ABS sensor on my '99 EB 2WD..my ABS light recently came on.

I did some searching here and found that it could be the rear ABS sensor... put my meter across, read infinity, so off to the dealer I went. $27 with tax for the part, 1/2 hour under the truck and no more ABS Light!

Thanks for the help! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Speedometer was acting fine. Don't these have a seperate VSS in the tranny?

Part number on the box is F85Z-2L373-AC , Part # on the old sensor is F85F-9E731-AA.

Bump

Not sure why it was bumped as the solution has already been found.

To answer BB's question though, on a 99, the speed sensor on the rear axle is one of three inputs into the ABS Control Module. The ABSCM conditions the three signals, then outputs the vehicle speed as an input to a whole assortment of things, including the speedo, trip computer, ECU, PCM, GEM, Cruise Control Servo, Stereo, and a few others I'm sure I forgot. If one of the ABS sensors drops out, the ABSCM still has the other two to rely on to determine vehicle speed.

-Joe

Not sure why it was bumped as the solution has already been found.

To answer BB's question though, on a 99, the speed sensor on the rear axle is one of three inputs into the ABS Control Module. The ABSCM conditions the three signals, then outputs the vehicle speed as an input to a whole assortment of things, including the speedo, trip computer, ECU, PCM, GEM, Cruise Control Servo, Stereo, and a few others I'm sure I forgot. If one of the ABS sensors drops out, the ABSCM still has the other two to rely on to determine vehicle speed.

-Joe

That is dead on the money.

Ranger 1998 ABS light

This is my first post, and thanks in advance for any assistance you all can provide. I bought my Ranger about 2 months ago. It is a 4x4 super cab, and I like the truck, but have had brake problems since the beginning. I've replaced the front rotors, pads and calipers, and then the left rear wheel started to bind. I realized the truck was very rusty underneath for only 56,000 miles,so I took the wheel off, cleaned everything and replaced the wheel cylinder. The ABS light has been on since I bought the truck, and after all this work, it still didn't go out. Also, the left rear wheel is still binding. Could this be a sensor issue? Thanks.

Back