• Register Today It's free!

found the problem

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
City, State
Roseburg Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer EB
well for several months , my 91 Explorer has been running rough @ an idle , and I could hear one cylinder missing . at anything above an dle it seemed ok.
Well friday was a differeant note, It started runnig really bad ,and it missed all the time . Saturday , I took a 6 pack and my tools out to the rig , open the motor home , and turned up the stereo . after checking the plugs , I found that the #4 plug or the first on on the driver side was oil soaked , and with the engine running and a new plug in it , it didn't run any better. So I pulled the plug wires one at a time and found that the # 2 plug also was not seeming to make any difference when I pulled the plug wires off when running.SO I ripped into her and I found that the intake is leaking between the intake and the head , and just in time I may add. I found that the gasket around the cooling passages was very thin. So I have all the parts washed up , the new intake to cylinder head gasket in place ,and will finish this up tomorrow .I'm glad I have finally found the source of the oil consumption , and now the miss.I see that this 4.0 is built much like the old FE blocks , so now I'm golden...thanks for all the help I've gained from reading everyone elses posts.....Ashley

Back