Frame Width Difference...89-90 BII vs. 91-94 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Frame Width Difference...89-90 BII vs. 91-94 Explorer

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
Is the Explorer Frame WIDER than the Bronco II? And IF there is a difference, how big of a difference are we talking about?

Thanks,
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 8.8 axle out of a first gen.X and it bolted up fine to my 84 B2, other then flipping the springs from under to over.

If you're asking about any part of the front frame (ahead of the transmission x-member), it's all the same width.

As for the rear, I can't be sure.

When I put the Ex 8.8 rearend in mine (out of a '99), the spring perches ended up about ½" WIDER than where they were originally (in addition to being flipped).

The frame rails on an X get about 3-4" wider as is goes to the rear.

Edit: It rained and then the sun came out... so I had great undervehicle lighting. :D

1985 BII vs 1992 Explorer 4 door.

b2frame.jpg

exframe.jpg

correct

Up fvront as far as the TTB supension and angine cradle, back to the radius arms and trans x member they are the same, or similar (BII's had a funky bushing mount trans x member from 86-88 not sure if 89-90 do

The frame gets wider after that to accomodate the explorer gas tank and is also why the explorer leaf springs are under the frame rails and not off to the side like the Ranger or BII

You guys rock!...

I knew the BII guys would come to my rescue....

Thanks guys,
Ryan

Back