Framerail Differences: Toyota Vs. Jeep Vs. Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Framerail Differences: Toyota Vs. Jeep Vs. Explorer

97XEB

Reaction score
City, State
,NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 EB
Does anyone know the framerail differences between the Toyota Tacoma's, Jeep - XJ and TJs - and our Explorers? Obviously, overall width is similar enough to swap axles between at least the Jeeps and Explorers.

I'm wondering if we can start modifying Jeep and Yota front bumpers and rear carriers - such as from BulletProof Mfg, Rubicon Express, etc. - for our Explorers.

Anyone ever try this or do this successfully? How "off" are the mounting points? Are just the holes off, our are the actual mounts far off? What kind of modifications would be necessary to make a Jeep bumper work on our Explorers?

I'm really tired of not having many decent offroad products / accessories for our trucks!! May be time to start modifying what's out there, ala 1970s chopper style.

I believe there was a member who modified a bull bar from his toyota to use on his ex. I think there are also some who have modified a cherokee bumper, I know it has been talked about, but not sure if it has been done. Try a search, and you will probably find what you are lookin for.

Yeah, I've done the search, and you are right, there are people who have modified other bumpers to fit the X, but unfortunately, their write-ups don't contain enough detail to make me comfortable with how "off" those bumpers are or what needs to be done to make them fit the X.

Since I can't do the work myself, I want specific details on what needs to be done and exact measurements before I spend the money to order up a Jeep or Toyota bumper with the intention of modifying.

Hopefully someone with that exact, detailed level info will reply...

Thanks.

Back