Removing 04 E.B. Explorer subwoofer panel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing 04 E.B. Explorer subwoofer panel

Alex C

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Eddle Bauer
Could anyone walk me through removing the passenger side rear panel which hides the factory subwoofer? I've read that you pretty much have to take the whole rear panel off. I'd like to get a look at the factory subwoofer, amp, and enclosure to get some ideas as to how to replace it.

I'm thinking of putting a aftermarket sub in the factory enclosure with the factory amp, or an aftermarket sub in the factory enclosure with an aftermarket small amp. I'm not looking for big boom, just improvement over the factory sub. Or is the existing factory sub/amp combo my best option?

A "how to" or any other suggestions about the second part of my question would be appreciated. I'm trying not to tinker to much because I like the factory HU and steering wheel controls, but would like to improve the sound on the cheap. So far the Polk DB570's have been a nice improvement over the stock speakers, and I'm now looking at the bass.

2004 Eddie Bauer Explorer
CD-6 Audiophile HU (with "SAT" button)
Factory DVD entertainment system
Dealer installed Sirius oem system
Front and rear door speakers replaced with Polk DB570's ($49/pair at Crutchfield - easy self install)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a nice box for keeping it looking stock and having more bass
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1381
You can still use the factory steering controls with an aftermarket headunit, you just have to gat an adapter. I have one made by pac to work with my alpine HU.
PICT4839.jpg

heres some pics of the side removed,
PICT3792.jpg

PICT3589.jpg

PICT3515.jpg

PICT3512.jpg

Your gona wana pop the b and c pillar covers off, pop the rear plasic cover that goes from side to side on the bottom. fold down the second row seat. Remove the seat belt bolt at the bottom with a torque socket (i think it's a 50) and 1/2" ratchet. then start popping off the side panel and your done.

WOW! SilverSPL, you really gutted you X. That's a pretty amazing system too. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, my X is a daily driver and I have 2 kids and 2 dogs to contend with and haul around. :( Back in the day, I had a 92 EB with a sliding amp rack, two 10's in a custom box that took up the whole cargo area, etc... That was in 1992, REALLY back in the day. I don't know how many times I had to explain what the HUGE cylindrical object that looked like a D cell battery was doing under my rear seat (Capacitor, anyone? LOL)

Alas, real life has finally caught up with me... What I'm trying to do is just get a moderate improvement in sound without having to take out a 3rd mortgage. The factory Audiophile HU and replacement speakers may be enough, but I'd like to see what the subwoofer's about so I can possible replace it cheaply (I'm talking about a drop-in replacement sub using the factory tiny amp if I can get away with it)

I appreciate the response and enjoyed the pics, but could you (or anyone) else list a more detailed step by step processs of removing the back passenger side sub panel please? Any kind of specs on the factory subwoofer system would be a bonus as well... I have scoured the internet and cannot find this info ANYWHERE!!

SilverSPL, that's awesome. Thanks for the pics.

AlexC, check out crutchfield.com and theres an 8" MTX that they recommend as a replacement for Explorer and Expedition factory subs. You may have to do a little modification to get it to fit but read the customer reviews. Theyre saying the MTX sub's bass is great even with the factory amp and its only 70 bucks.

SilverSPL, that's awesome. Thanks for the pics.

AlexC, check out crutchfield.com and theres an 8" MTX that they recommend as a replacement for Explorer and Expedition factory subs. You may have to do a little modification to get it to fit but read the customer reviews. Theyre saying the MTX sub's bass is great even with the factory amp and its only 70 bucks.

Thanks DietRockstar. That's originally what I was planning to do. I talked to two different Crutchfield advisors online this week; they both advised against it despite what was posted in the customer reviews. They both said the factory sub amp only puts out 15-20 watts and the MTX would actually sound worst than the factory sub at that wattage. They both recommended to keep the factory sub unless I added an amp as well. If I can't get any more info, I may just try it. Crutchfield has a good return policy if it doesn't work out. I'm still going to need info on how to access and remove the factory sub though.

If anyone has replaced their factory 8" subwoofer in the stock enclosure and kept the factory amp or replaced it with a new amp, I'd like to hear their comments.

Thanks DietRockstar. That's originally what I was planning to do. I talked to two different Crutchfield advisors online this week; they both advised against it despite what was posted in the customer reviews. They both said the factory sub amp only puts out 15-20 watts and the MTX would actually sound worst than the factory sub at that wattage. They both recommended to keep the factory sub unless I added an amp as well. If I can't get any more info, I may just try it. Crutchfield has a good return policy if it doesn't work out. I'm still going to need info on how to access and remove the factory sub though.

If anyone has replaced their factory 8" subwoofer in the stock enclosure and kept the factory amp or replaced it with a new amp, I'd like to hear their comments.

Really? Thanks for the info. I'm going to try it anyways because my factory sub is distorting at higher volume levels. If it doesn't sound too great I may buy an inexpensive amp to push it. It's not like that particular sub is high end. I'll let you know but it's going to be a couple weeks. I'm still having my suspension worked on, getting a cat back put on , and I'm moving at the end of the month so I won't have the time until afterwards.

Sounds good. Let me know how it turns out once you replace the sub. I can wait; the factory sub at this time is adequate enough.

Good luck!

Sounds good. Let me know how it turns out once you replace the sub. I can wait; the factory sub at this time is adequate enough.

Good luck!

I noticed your sig. I'm trying to setup something similar. By chance did you get the part no. off the radio. I'm trying to match up a similar HU. I'm adding the Sub. Already added Polks F/R and I lost the bass. I have the Rear DVD system. Should i be looking for a radio with SAT?
Thanks for any help.
Jim.

I noticed your sig. I'm trying to setup something similar. By chance did you get the part no. off the radio. I'm trying to match up a similar HU. I'm adding the Sub. Already added Polks F/R and I lost the bass. I have the Rear DVD system. Should i be looking for a radio with SAT?
Thanks for any help.
Jim.

I don't know the number of the radio offhand, but I do know you can get some info about it from visteon.com (the manufacturer). I'm not sure why you lost the bass if you just replaced the speakers unless you did something at the radio with the harnesses.

The radio with the "sat" button just means you can add the oem Sirius package, which cost me $525 installed at the local dealer.

I'm not sure what questions you're actually asking; if you could be more specific, I'll try to help if I can.

I'll try to be more specific, not mean to thread jack either . . .
I have an '04 EB that came with the Rear DVD ent system, steering controls but no Sub-Woofer. Radio doesn’t have the extra plug for and its a 4L2t-18c868CA. When i upgraded to Polks (some 2ways, mdl number I forgot - $30 a pair) I lost the low end bass. When I listen to my friends '04 (same radio as yours i believe) he had a CD-6 W/Factory Subwoofer and it sounded great. When I switch my radio i have AM/FM/FM2/CD/VID/AUX2.

From your sig it looks like you have the HU I need. So my question is what radio do you have or do you know what i need to get the Audiophile HU CD-6 with Rear DVD and Subwoofer - the part no. I think is 4L2T-18C815-?? something something letters. Don’t know what letter to look for. I’ll check the Web site too.

Thanks for any info
Jim

650 for the JL? omg....

Hey Alex C.... I too have an '04 Explorer Eddie Bauer and am looking to add a subwoofer. Did you have success removing the panels to get at that space? I want to do it right! :) I saw someone paost : "Your gona wana pop the b and c pillar covers off, pop the rear plasic cover that goes from side to side on the bottom. fold down the second row seat. Remove the seat belt bolt at the bottom with a torque socket (i think it's a 50) and 1/2" ratchet. then start popping off the side panel and your done."
Is that what you did?

Thanks!

yes that whole quarter panel needs to be removed. The grill doesn't come off.
The big panel actually lifts up and out, there are some clips that have to be pulled first.

Back