• Register Today It's free!

freez plug clinder head

Angus76

Reaction score
City, State
Penguin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford Explorer
Hi. I want to peplace the plug at the rear of the cylinder head on my left when looking from the rear of the engine before I put the engine back in the unit.
Can anyone tell me what the size of the plug is before I pull it out & weather I can use a brass plug in a aluminum cylinder head, there seems to be a lot of confusion about fitting brass to alloy. any advice on that one. thank you. (picture attached)

20221201_115757.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi. I want to peplace the plug at the rear of the cylinder head on my left when looking from the rear of the engine before I put the engine back in the unit.
Can anyone tell me what the size of the plug is before I pull it out & weather I can use a brass plug in a aluminum cylinder head, there seems to be a lot of confusion about fitting brass to alloy. any advice on that one. thank you. (picture attached)

View attachment 436818
If you order a freeze kit ( say from rock auto or similar store) the right size plug come in the kit.

If you're worried about galvanic corrosion, I don't think either one will cause trouble as long as you change coolant regularly.

The steel plug is closer on the anodic table to aluminum, but I would use whatever was available. Paint it if you use steel.

Thanks for the advice, I am on the other side of the world to you, here in australia. & getting advice here isn't easy to get & parts are not easy to get. I have purchased a lot of my parts out of the USA for this rebuild & almost finished. I thought I would replace the plug in the head while the motor was out, But I could have left it in there because the plug had no corosion on it. The Vehiele hase been very well maintained. I will look around for the right sized plug, steel if I can get it, Then it's just a matter of putting it back in.

If you can't find a press in plug easily, I'm wondering if you could find a threaded plug and have someone there work their magic to the hole.

Hi boys. I have tried to find the right plug for the motor, But having no success Rockauto have a 1-9/16" plug listed for this motor, but it is much to big to fit the 4L SOHC motor. My old plug measures very close to 34mm-1.33". There must be the right plug in the USA, but I haven't found it yet. there are plenty listed for the OHV motor, Surely I haven't got the only one with this sized plug in it. If anyone out there has the time to look one up for me or is able to tell me the correct size, I may be able to machine one up from another plug.

Please take a picture of where the plug goes

I assume the picture attached is the plug in question,
Yes that is the plug in question, At the back of the left cylinder head looking from the rear of the engine. SOHC motor.

s-l1600.jpg

Back