What are these spark plugs telling me? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are these spark plugs telling me?

Reaction score
City, State
In the Middle
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Ranger 5.0

1997 Ranger with a 4 cylinder

I pulled these plugs from the passenger side of the head since they are a lot easier to get to than the plugs on the driver side.

These plugs have about 1,500 to 2,000 miles on them. What are these plugs telling me? From left to right = cylinders 1 through 4. Cylinder 1 smelled odd and has some red/brown specs. Cylinders 2 and 3 smelled like raw gas. Cylinder 4 smelled normal.

3-16-09004.jpg

3-16-09007.jpg

3-16-09009.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the red/brown spots indicate a fuel additive.

I think the red/brown spots indicate a fuel additive.

An additive from the gas pump or something I do? I use no additives.

To me, it looks like the #1 plug on the left isn't firing... What do the driver's side plugs look like? (To get them out, it's easier if you remove the intake manifold... it's only 8 bolts IIRC. I did it without removing it on my '90, but it wasn't fun...)

-Joe

An additive from the gas pump or something I do? I use no additives.

Yes, fuel additives. Nothing to worry about.

Wow! You have a V-12? :p:

Plugs look normal to me. Your engine is in good shape!

Regarding 2 & 3 smelling like raw gas may indicate rich A/F mix - does it throw any codes?

Plugs look normal to me. Your engine is in good shape!

Regarding 2 & 3 smelling like raw gas may indicate rich A/F mix - does it throw any codes?

Couldn't that also mean #2&3 were simply on the compression or combustion stroke when the engine was shut down? I would kind of expect at least one of the plugs to smell like fuel...

-Joe

your valve sleeve in your cylinder head looks like its leaking oil by looking at the first plug

Back