• Register Today It's free!

From Hard to Impossible

TTG

Reaction score
City, State
Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
So I decided that if I'm gonna go fast, I should get a little car that was designed for that sort of thing. So I'm going to be getting one, probably that new 06 Civic Si(200ish HP and choked wherever possible... with a few little toys in it it should be hanging with SRT-4s).

In any case, weight is now an extreme enemy. We want weight to die and burn in hell. But we also want a nice stereo, and here is the problem. All the good subs I know of are heavy, which is what makes them nice. Are there any subs that are lightweight, yet still hit nicely? Or is this just an impossible thing as I think it is?

And yes, I'm keeping the Explorer too. Don't worry, she's fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just keep the system small. A quality 10 can still sound good without alot of weight.

I'm not worried about the X. I'm more worried about you buying an economy car for "speed" :p Good subs are heavy. It takes ~100 pounds to add .1 second to the 1/4. A couple subs will be fine. Doubt you'll notice any acceleration difference.

if you want a new honda, 07 is supposed to bring back the crx, so it should be significantly lighter as well as having the same 200 hp 8000 rpm redline powerplant (if it continues with tradition it should be lighter anyways...) if you want an even faster car, the 84-87 crx weighed like 1800 lbs and can fit a turbo'd 1.8L...

It seems to me that for good bass you need a large driver (speaker) to move a lot of air, and you also need a stiff housing (speaker box) so that it doesn't vibrate and produce its own sounds.

Most large drivers are going to have a large magnet to move the coil, so there really isn't a lot you can do to make the speaker lighter; there may be some other exotic tech but I'm not aware of this.

However, it is possible to improve on most speaker boxes. They are usually made of MDF because it is dense and won't rattle. But it is really heavy. You could use a different type of structure to build the box out of lighter materials. One way of saving weight would be to use a "torsion box" design where the sides of the box have an inner and outer "skin" and are attached to a grid or honeycomb structure so that the interior is relatively hollow. The idea is to get a stiff wall structure with minimal weight.

So, I don't think it is impossible to have a lighter, good performing sub, but it may take some different construction techniques.

if you want to go fast, buy mustang cobra, not econobox with front wheel drive :)

if you want to build a light sub, go for a tube. the last sub i built is made of 12" sonutube; it's very sturdy cardboard tube used to pour concrete into. one side has mdf round with 3" pvc tube for port, another has plywood ring to attach the sub to, both ends glued with wood glue and sealed with silicone.

overall it's very light for a sub.

See there's the thing. I was originally going to get a Z28 or a Cobra, but my buddies all have little quick revving import engines, and they really really enjoy them. Sure my truck's faster than them, and so are a lot of cars, but they really do have fun with their cars. Plus them little things get amazing gas mileage.

So you can't have fun with a Z28 or Cobra? I think the faster the car and the bigger the aftermarket the more fun it can be. The motors are also possible to work on.

The domestics just aren't as quick revving, so you actually have to go fast to be fun. The imports are fun without going truly fast(lucky for them too).

If I got a Camaro I'd have to get an SS, if I got a Firebird it'd have to be a T/A. If I got a Stang it's have to be a Cobra(possibly a supercharged one too).

SO you think a Honeycomb shell with a layer of Fiberglass on it would work? I had thought about just doing a custom molded Fiberglass enclosure anyways.

TTG said:
See there's the thing. I was originally going to get a Z28 or a Cobra, but my buddies all have little quick revving import engines, and they really really enjoy them. Sure my truck's faster than them, and so are a lot of cars, but they really do have fun with their cars. Plus them little things get amazing gas mileage.
i drove miata and had lots of fun; now i drive cobra and have lots of fun. but front wheel drive - not so much fun when your wheels slip no matter how much you rev your little engine. and these big badass spoilers? they only decrease traction of FWD vehicle. all show and no go.

edited: the cobra is a lot of fun at zero speed. i mean zero to sixty.

if you want a mean import, buy subary wrx. now that's respectable contender, they can even keep up with me in the rain :) or get nissan z.

anyway, it's about subwoofers, right?

TTG said:
SO you think a Honeycomb shell with a layer of Fiberglass on it would work? I had thought about just doing a custom molded Fiberglass enclosure anyways.

Yes, the best would be to make a sandwich of honeycomb between two shells of fiberglass. That would make a stiff and light structure.

get a VW GTi with the 1.8T engine. Those cars are awesome. You could get a pair of 8" subs or one 10" and that would be a lot of bass for that type of car.

Back