head unit install from hell!!!!!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

head unit install from hell!!!!!!!!!

orangecow

Reaction score
City, State
ventura, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
ok so im redoing the stock, low end stereo in my 95 explorer with a new head unit and some new door speakers along with two 10'' subs in the back, the subs went in fine and are all hooked up to the new head unit but the door speakers are another story.

After much deliberation and cursing my friends and i decided that running new wiring to the doors (our initial plan) was virtually impossible because of teh way the car was build so we decided to use the existing wiring, the problem is that the existing wiring is a ####ing mess and we cut the harness to hardwire the head unit (big mistake) so now im ####ed, and cant figure out how to hook up the new HU

ok so in short my question is this, does anyone know how to hardwire in a new HU to a 95 explorer preferably bypassing the old amp in the back

or better yet does anyone know an easy solution to running new wires.

please guys this is getting frusterating and desperate

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cut the harness on my OEM, all you need is a wiring diagram for your '95 stereo.

Get an amp bypass kit which will plug into the rear amp and run wires to the front. In addition you may need a front HU installation harness (or maybe not since you cut all the plugs off :( )

You may need to get an electrical manual to tell you the wire colors and such, but I'm sure someone on here will help you.

Diagram from my 96 This should be the same as your wiring. I wouldn't waste my money on that harness. For 30 minutes and a few connectors you can do without it. You can run a wire into the drivers door. You can feed the wires individually thru the holes in the plastic hinge, or you can pull the boot off a little and put a small ammount of wire outside the plastic hinge, and back into the boot above the part that hinges.

Wire clotheshangers are your friend.

does anyone have a complete wireing diagram of the 95 basic audio external amp tape deck no sub

What all do you need the diagrams for? The blue link in my above post should tell you all you need to bypass a factory amp with a tape, and no sub.

u dont need a diagram..or the stock harnes...there should be 4 sets of wires in the back..they consist of 4 sets of 2 wires that are stuck together...once u see these simply set the HU to front right..then start to connect the wire pairs untill the front right comes on..do that for the other 3 speakers and u are set just make sure the power and ground are all capped nice and tight so while u are poking and proding u dont ground anything

its not that hard to figure out what wire goes where..its harder for some people to read a wireing diagram then the proces i just told u

but if u really really cant figure out what goes where its not impossible to run new speaker wire

Back