• Register Today It's free!

Front auto lockers?

steelo1

Reaction score
City, State
Hervey Bay, Queensland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT 4.0L
I was just wondering if somebody who has these can tell me something about them as I've just bought another X & I think it has them fitted, thanks :scratch: :australia

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was just wondering if somebody who has these can tell me something about them as I've just bought another X & I think it has them fitted, thanks :scratch: :australia

Are you talking a diff locker, axle lockers at the hubs, or the vacuum setup?

I think one of them you call Aussie (diff) Lockers over there, was just wondering about on-road effects like clicking noises & such. :D

I think one of them you call Aussie (diff) Lockers over there, was just wondering about on-road effects like clicking noises & such. :D

lockers are good on off road but its very hard steer if you use it on road... it may lock while you making a U-turn or just by goin on the round about, it may worn out your front tyres quicker...
is the ratchet noise that loud and the by standers would hear it?

A loocking differential in the front axle is an extreme step to take. I have done it on my 1967 Bronco and the 1985 Bronco I had befor that. Be advised that if you actually need that kind of traction up front when you are off-roading then you will likely also need to upgrade your axles because you will quickly start breaking thoes.

Ppersonally I think when I go to upgrade the front diff on my Mountaineer (it has a 1979 For Bronco Dana 44 front axle in it) I will probably go with a selectable locker. This is mainly so I can keep the steering the way it is now and not have to upgrade to a ram assist type steering like I did on my 1967 Bronco. Don't get me wrong, The 67 Bronco steers great with the ram assist. I just don't want to go thru the extra complexity on this rig.

As for sound, That was never really an issue because the only time I was in 4WD was when I was really crawling and needed it. Who cares if the locker pops when you are crawling over a boulder.

A loocking differential in the front axle is an extreme step to take. I have done it on my 1967 Bronco and the 1985 Bronco I had befor that. Be advised that if you actually need that kind of traction up front when you are off-roading then you will likely also need to upgrade your axles because you will quickly start breaking thoes.

good to know, thats interesting!
my friend what do you think about the no-slip lockers (powertrax) for the front, this is not full lockers and that should ease the stress right?

i love to upgrade my front but its sounds like a big job is it still IFS..?
in your expertise would the LSD diff will do the job unless you do a extreme step?

thanks mate!

Any of the limited slip differentials would definatly reduce the stresses to an acceptable level. My personal choice for LSD's (limited slip differentials) is the Detroit truetrac. This is because this LSD uses a gear arrangment to actuate its "limited slip". There are no wearing parts to have to replace in the long run like most of the other limited slips. Here is an artical on it: LINK

Most other LSD's use a set of clutch packs that allow the differential to differentiate by slipping the clutches. Over time the clutches wear causing the ammount of force to slip the clutches to be less which translates to the ammount of power going to the wheel with the least ammount of traction to be more.

I have a friend who would rebuild oly LSD's and throw in an extra clutch to make them VERRY AGGRESSIVE, almost like a spool (no differential action at all). Even thoes over time would loosen up though.

I am not sure about the availability of the Detroit truetrac down under but if they are not availble maybe we can work out a deal involving an ARB shipping here and a truetrac shipping there ;)

Dan

Oh, and my front is a solid full size axle. Ran across a killer deal on this rig. See the link to my regestry at the bottom of my posts.

Happy trails!

Wow thanks! I learnd new things everyday...!;) my friend, have you heared about Powertrax no-slip? I was planning to use that for my rear and front and it says its better than the full lockers and dont give much stress esp when full turning on road...

The power tracks no-slip Looks like it is what is commonly referred to as a "lunchbox locker". This is a true locker like the Detroit locker. It is not a limited slip. Therefor it will have the same (or more) stresses than a Detroit locker. I say or more because in my experience these lunchbox lockers a a bit more agressive than the current gerneration Detroit locker which is also known as the Detroit soft locker.

There are literally a dozen or more companies manufactureing "lunch box lockers" One of the most recomended ones that I have heard of is the "Aussie Locker". Should be right up your avenue with a name like that.

You will note that the lunchbox lockers are quite a bit less expensive than a Detroit locker or the LSD's. This is primarilly becuase the lunch box lockers re-use the case of your current open differential.

Also note that I have personally experienced and have witnessed a few of these types of lockers damage and break the original case that they are installed in.

The power tracks no-slip There are literally a dozen or more companies manufactureing "lunch box lockers" One of the most recomended ones that I have heard of is the "Aussie Locker". Should be right up your avenue with a name like that.
Also note that I have personally experienced and have witnessed a few of these types of lockers damage and break the original case that they are installed in.

wow thanks for that info's [broncohole]...

yeah first we dont have Aussie lockers here in australia, i know its sound it wierd but yeah. we only have a lockers called LOKKA and its similar in Aussie lockers...
about lockers im always worried about the noise (ratchet/popping) noise when you full lock turn, i think this lockers are more agressive than no-slip...
im not 100% sure but thats what i heared from the sales person from powertax and the lockright are same as Aussie locker..
for me i drive this everyday to work but weekend i go hectik or love to do some climbing, i think no-slip lockers is good but i havent had anyone i know whos had them on their 4wd but i would like to get for the rear and front...
ARB here says LSD is good enough and just install that locker on the front and it will do the job, but for me if i do something i like it to do it all up no short cuts...
i need your opinion and have you seen or heared someone has this no-slip lockers on their 4WD, i guess this is my last shot to settle this lockers on my head...
i ask few people they say aussie lockers or lockright are good if i dont mind the popping noise soon it engages but i dont want to scare my kids when that happen lol.... i still convinced that no-slip is the way to go for the price and less noise, i dont know much about 4WD diff so please help us out for more info about all this lockers...

I personally have been running Detroit soft lockers front and rear in my 1985 Bronco and my 1967 Bronco for over 10 years now (see links in my signature). I was running a Lockrite in the front of the 85 Bronco for 5 years befor that with the TTB front suspension. I know from personal experience that I broke many axle shafts during thoes years of experience, most of which were due to the additional traction available from the lockers.

You say "for me if i do something i like it to do it all up no short cuts". If you are serious then the answer is an ARB air actuated locker. This acts as an open differential when it is off and as a spool when it is on. You have none of the negative properties of a locker(hard steering, pushing thru turns, loud poping, constant strain on steering components and axle shafts...) when it is unlocked and when you need that extra traction, a flip of the switch and you are FULLY LOCKED.

You usually also get te benifit of an on-board air supply. The primary drawback is the cost. The secondary drawback is the complexity of the system leads to additional points of failure that would keep the ARB from being able to lock. This is not an issue with the ARB differential itself, but more of an issue with the air supply system to lock it. If the installer does a quality job this shouldn't be a problem though.

You should probably do some research in to magazine articals that compare and rate the various traction aids. Talking to local 4X4 club members that do the type of off-roading you intend to do would be a good idea also.

Most of my experience in 4 wheeling is multi use type. Sand, sand washes, mountain trails, very little mud or snow, allot of moderate to difficult rock crawling. It's primarilly the rock crawling for trails like Rubicon and Dusy-Ershim that I need the locker in the front for although it definatly helps on climbing steep hills with tank traps or steps.

You say "for me if i do something i like it to do it all up no short cuts". If you are serious then the answer is an ARB air actuated locker. This acts as an open differential when it is off and as a spool when it is on. You have none of the negative properties of a locker(hard steering, pushing thru turns, loud poping, constant strain on steering components and axle shafts...) when it is unlocked and when you need that extra traction, a flip of the switch and you are FULLY LOCKED.

Oh, what i ment shortcuts was i rather do both diff locked than just rear only, its like i rather get a pair instead of one....
Yes air locker is good but expensive, im just looking for a cheap and reliable and less head ache and i hate regrets after. Thats why i like to pick their brain to see what they think or experienced about lockers, yeah i did checked few lockers online and read their feedbacks... Thanks for all the infos my friend, have a good weekend !;)

locker

Hi Steelo, Mate, After our chat I just had to check this out, I couldn't resist. Hope we have answered the question and again If you have any questions pleas get in touch .Cheers Foxy

I surely will, & also relieve you of some parts to boot, great talking to you in person, you don't talk to too many X lovers here in Oz.
Chat to ya later :D :australia

Back