Front Blower motor troubleshooting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Blower motor troubleshooting

~Ray~

Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT
My 95 Explorer blower motor has been going on the fritz the last couple months, sometimes it just stops blowing & then it would come back on minutes later, now it won't come on @ all, I checked all the fuses, bought a new blower motor plugged it in & it won't spin either, the rear blower works fine any suggestions ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would check the wiring functions with a multi meter.
the motor itself only has what 3 wires? or is it 2?

you also might want to replace the relay if it has one Think they are like 8 bucks at the parts store

My blower would stop until I hit a bump or whacked on the dash. Changing the blower motor fixed it. This is a common failure. The relay is in the power distibution box.

Download the ford shop cd, there is a extremly detailed list of steps to go through to troubleshoot it. I'd post a PDF of it but I am not at home and do not have the cd with me.

Strip some of the insulation on the negative to the motor though and short it to ground. All of the speed controls are on the negative side. If the blower works like this it is the speed controls. If it doesn't its something upstream- fuse, relay or wiring.

I checked all the Fuses & replaced em even though good "had factory book" I imagine the high/low switch on the dash could be bad but would it still turn off, mine does. anyother suggestions ?

AutoZone's website has schematic diagrams. You could follow the color codes until you find the problem. Have you checked the blower motor's wiring connector for power with a test light when it is turned on?

mine when i bought it few months ago did not work at all, one morning i was just going along and realized, oh my god the heaters on lol. for a day it only worked now and then, now it only works with the blower set on high. guessing i have same wiring problem?

Indeed, check the blower resistor pack and the pigtail that plugs into it.

Pics are in the gallery linked in my signature. Use the pull-down for Explorer Blower Motor Fix.

-Joe

gijoecam,

Nice site.........Nice truck your F150.........tried the pull downs. But, haven't found the album, "Explorer Blower Motor Fix."

Aloha, Mark

Replace the fan motor relay. It may check to be ok, but sometimes they lie

ma96782 said:
gijoecam,

Nice site.........Nice truck your F150.........tried the pull downs. But, haven't found the album, "Explorer Blower Motor Fix."

Aloha, Mark

Sorry.... They're on page 2 of the Explorer Pics page... Guess I never got around to creating the other album like I thought!

-Joe

Yup.....see it now, AKA the Little Lemon that Could! :D

But, at least it works, NOW. :thumbsup:

Aloha,Mark

not meaning to hijack this from ray but mine only works on high, should i try reaplcing the switch itself or would it be the relay or wiring? thanks

Where is the Fan motor relay ?

All I got is 2 fuses, one in the dash & one under the hood.

BrooklynBay, where is that at and how do i reaplce it? i pulled the relay out in the power distribution box, fan didnt work at all so it must not be the relay. thanks alot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the area near the blower. It is mounted inside of the area where the air blows into the vehicle. The cool air from the fan keeps those high current resistors cool. It has 2 screws holding it on, and an electrical connector plugged into it.

Back