Front brake calipers locked up - ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front brake calipers locked up - ??

Johnny Glenn

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
02-04 Explorers
Thanks for looking in -- working on an 03 2WD and both calipers have siezed up. At first, one was binding so I replaced it but now the other is seized also!? ABS light is on - can I disable ABS to see if that's the problem? Brake lines look ok - fluid is dirty but for one caliper to lock up while working on the other? Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whoo boy.

Frozen calipers?? Are you sure? I am guessing that they were frozen 'open' or else you would not be able to drive the truck, or were/are they just retracting poorly if at all?

If the fluid is dirty get it flushed, asap.

I am not sure how the frozen calipers would cause an ABS light; however, since you mentioned the dirty brake fluid, you could have a bad ABS actuator (expensive).

Double check the caliper mounting bracket, when i redid my brakes it was easy put it back wrong, i found if i hand tightened the bolts, each about a half turn till tight, it would go on square. Just being off a little and the rotors would not turn.

Thanks for the ideas - I'm going to change fluid, flush out lines etc, and cross fingers - that method works sometimes?! Calipers are presently locked closed - would one locked up caliper/hub cause the other hub not to spin freely? When I first began working on this vehicle ABS light was on and one wheel/hub didn't spin normally - thought it was wheel bearing but has turned out to be caliper. The confusing issue is now it's locked up totally and so is the other wheel?! I'm thinking of taking off pads and maybe calipers depending on if they can reach rotor and driving slowly to mechanic shop to diagnose ABS light - I've got a highline scanner but don't think it can read ABS lights?

Problem solved - I bled brakes incorrectly which caused alot of air in lines. One caliper did need replacing but both seized completely because of air. ABS light is on signaling wheel bearing issue - but bearing is fine @ the moment. If anybody is less experienced than me with brakes? - it's not possible to drive with no front pads! - I (thought) I could use just the back brakes to drive to mechanic -- but it doesn't work that way.

Back