• Register Today It's free!

Front Brake problem 91 Exp

D M Dickson

Reaction score
City, State
N. Charleston South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer 2 WD
91 Exp pulls to left when brakes are applied, (feels like brake problem not alignment problem) is the left caliper possibly putting more pressure on the left side pads than the rt side? Pads and rotors only have about 3000 miles on them, brake booster test as from Haynes manual tested ok. Thx for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the truck set undriven for any length of time? Calipers can develop a sticking affect, and replacing the pair would be the answer for that. Be sure that everything else is in fine shape though before looking at a caliper swap. Good luck,

Truck is driven daily, it does seem like a lot of pressure on the pedal is needed to stop.

Chances are the Right Caliper is frozen so it doesn't brake at all.

change the callipers out on both sides. That was the fix for mine. They are pretty cheap with the core.

does your pedal feel air ish and then you get full on brakes?

The brake pedal feels soft at first but then it seems like you need to push hard on the pedal to stop.

re-using used brake pads

I have a pair of brake pads that only have about 100-250 miles on them. I had replaced the pads thinking that was the problem, but it was actually the calipers jammed up. So I replaced both front calipers and put in new pads.

I was wondering, can I re-use these pads that barely have any miles on them. Someone told me that once the pads had settled into a certain shape, that it's not good to re-use them. This doesn't sound right to me.

You could re-surface the pads....but, sometimes once you get them flat again......it almost time to change them again.

Aloha, Mark

You didn't change the Rotors. You can use them.
Even if you did change the Rotors you can quickly sand them flat wit some 60 grit sandpaper and reuse.

Also be sure to properly clean and lube the caliper slide pins. Check them first, might be best to just replace them while you've got it apart.

Mike

The brake pedal feels soft at first but then it seems like you need to push hard on the pedal to stop.

This strongly suggests the opposite (non-pulling) side has a stuck caliper. As a consequence, you're having to apply much more force to the working calipers to stop the truck.

You can try swapping the pads from left to right to test this. If the problem follows the pads, replace the pads. If it doesn't, the caliper's stuck.

Of course, while you have the wheels off you can test the caliper for sticking. Just don't do this
  • with power in the brake booster; pump several times with the engine off before pulling the wheels
  • with your fingers in the way of ANYTHING
  • with an assistant who doesn't know the meaning of GENTLY
If the caliper moves when the pedal is pressed gently, it's probably OK and you're back to square one for diagnosis. I've heard of obstructions in brake lines, but never experienced one.

All the above is good advice. If you still have a problem after dealing with the calipers, try to bleed the rear wheel cylinders. I know this seems weird, but I had an issue with the RABS valve seizing up due to contaminated brake fluid (92 Exp). The end result was I had zero brake pressure going to the rear wheels. I know this is a long shot, but it will take but a minute to see if your rear bleeders have fluid to them.

Will back brakes cause a pull? My vehicle failed inspection due to it pulling to the right under braking. Its really not that much but apparently enough to fail it. I took it back to the place that did them last year and they replaced the calipers and brake hoses (right side had a small hole). They told me the drums are "out of round" but the pads are ok. That sounded weird to me. Its still pulling to the right. Doesn't seem to do it every time though.

Will back brakes cause a pull? My vehicle failed inspection due to it pulling to the right under braking. Its really not that much but apparently enough to fail it. I took it back to the place that did them last year and they replaced the calipers and brake hoses (right side had a small hole). They told me the drums are "out of round" but the pads are ok. That sounded weird to me. Its still pulling to the right. Doesn't seem to do it every time though.
BAck brakes can cause a pull. It's not as aggressive as when the front Brakes cause the pull though. If you give the Brake pedaltwo pumps as you brake, does that solve the Pulling problem? If yes, then maybe the rears just need an adjustment. A brake spoon and a couple of clicks might be all it needs. One of the Auto adjusters might not be working very well.....they never do.

The two pumps didn't seem to do the trick. I played around waiting for a light to change green. Stopped at the light I pumped the brake pedal and I can hear some air. Not only that but I noticed the pedal is a little spungy so I pressed hard after pumping the pedal and I can make it touch the floor. Doesn't really take a lot of effort.

The two pumps didn't seem to do the trick. I played around waiting for a light to change green. Stopped at the light I pumped the brake pedal and I can hear some air. Not only that but I noticed the pedal is a little spungy so I pressed hard after pumping the pedal and I can make it touch the floor. Doesn't really take a lot of effort.

You misunderstood. As you are coming to a stop, give two quick pumps and see if it stops straight.
If it does, it would indicate that either there is air in the line still ( you did say Calipers were replaced) OR one of the rear adjusters needs to be tightened up. The two quick pumps would push the rear wheel cylinder out farther then just the normal braking.
If you pump it after you stopped, it wont show you that the car is stopping straight.

I did the two pumps multiple times coming to stops. Never helped. After that I started messing with it at the light.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the Pulling get Better as you drive the car? Like it is bad when you first leave the house and get better as you drive?

Didthe Shop took the Drums off the car?

Something else that could cause a pulling. If the Rears are adjusted correctly and all is OK. IF one of the rear wheel cylinders is leaking and getting Brake fluid on teh Shoes, That side will brake sooner then the other side. Brake fluid on the Shoes make them tacky, not slippery. So if it pulls to the Right, Take off the passneger rear and check for a wet wheel cylinder.
Boy I'm curious as to what's going on here.

Back