• Register Today It's free!

Front Camera

mikepriz

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Has anyone added the 2016 front camera yet? I imagine it's shouldn't be too tricky since the 2016 Explorer is still using the same Ford Touch system... Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is not easy to add most OEM stuff after the fact. There is a lot more to it than simply adding the camera. There is a button on the dash for it. I believe it adds another image module to the vehicle and programming, etc.

On the 2016 is the front camera a hard button, or accessed through the touch screen (or both)? If it's the later, I am certain the programming is in the general SYNC (Ford Touch) updates as it's too costly to send individualized updates dependent on the options you got. I'm looking up the parts now, but it can't be much more than mounting the camera, running a wire through the firewall and possibly swapping out a module. Accessing the touch screen unit is, probably going to be the most tedious part of the job.

On the 2016 is the front camera a hard button, or accessed through the touch screen (or both)? If it's the later, I am certain the programming is in the general SYNC (Ford Touch) updates as it's too costly to send individualized updates dependent on the options you got. I'm looking up the parts now, but it can't be much more than mounting the camera, running a wire through the firewall and possibly swapping out a module. Accessing the touch screen unit is, probably going to be the most tedious part of the job.

It is both and I do this kinda stuff for a side job. You wont add the functionality with a SYNC update.

Absolutely. God bless the economy of scale, i.e. the 2016 touch screen unit is the exact same as the 2015 and previous. Which means it is a software update. Additionally, I just found out that the front facing camera is exactly the same camera that is on the rear. Making the camera readily available, the front mounting bracket is $24.35 the front/rear camera is $122.93. Now the question is does it plug into the touchscreen unit or is there a new module? I am having trouble finding a wiring schematic for 2016.

Absolutely. God bless the economy of scale, i.e. the 2016 touch screen unit is the exact same as the 2015 and previous. Which means it is a software update. Additionally, I just found out that the front facing camera is exactly the same camera that is on the rear. Making the camera readily available, the front mounting bracket is $24.35 the front/rear camera is $122.93. Now the question is does it plug into the touchscreen unit or is there a new module? I am having trouble finding a wiring schematic for 2016.

Rear Only Parking Aid Camera - Except Police Package

The rear parking aid camera system visually aids the driver while reversing or reverse parking the vehicle. The image of the area behind the vehicle can be displayed either on the FCDIM or on the FDIM. The camera system has features that provide fixed and active guideline overlays on the video image to assist the driver in aligning the vehicle and a visual alert function that provides a visual highlight in the zone where an object is detected by the audible parking aid system. The rear parking aid camera communicates with the BCM through a LIN circuit. The camera system is controlled though the FCDIM or FDIM.

Front And Rear Parking Aid Cameras

The front and rear parking aid camera system provides several different camera views to visually aid the driver while maneuvering the vehicle at low speed. The camera system is enabled by selecting reverse gear or pressing the camera selection switch (integrated to the Front Controls Interface Module B (FCIMB)) when any gear except reverse is selected. The front and rear camera normal and split views are changed using the camera selection switch and the available camera views are dependent upon the transmission gear selection. The camera system has features that provide fixed and active guideline overlays on the rear view video image to assist the driver in aligning the vehicle and a visual alert function that provides a visual highlight on the rear view image in the zone where an object is detected by the audible parking aid system.

To display the front and rear camera views on the FDIM, the IPMB switches between front and rear camera views based on driver input. The front and rear parking aid cameras communicate with the IPMB through a LIN circuit. The camera system is controlled though the FDIM.

More....

Attachments

• 16 ex rear camera.pdf
    156.2 KB · Views: 610
  • Front Camera 16 Ex.pdf
    89.9 KB · Views: 579

You obviously don't understand how the OEM setup works. Get a lockpick and just put a basic camera up front if you want to have a front camera. It will be much easier and much cheaper.

Back