Solved - Front Differential Thumps and Jumps= Bad things happen in 4wd | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Front Differential Thumps and Jumps= Bad things happen in 4wd

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Always nice to read when people report how they found/fixed a problem. I guess you now have an extra 3:73 front diff now that just needs a new torque bushing. I had new '86 S10 Blazer 4x4 that started making a thump-thump noise when you came to a quick stop. Drove me nuts for months. I finally figured out that both the bolts had fallen out of the trans mount and the thumping was the transmission bouncing on the x-member.

I think I need get a replacement used 3:73 posi rear diff for my 5.0 XLT "spare truck". It's been humming at anything over 40 MPH since I got it 18 mths/15k ago, the pinion seal leaks a little and it's started making some clicking and occasional screeching noises coming from the driver's side. I haven't investigated it yet. I just took it off the road as of yesterday and started using my '01 ST again as my daily driver. It's nice to have a spare for the spare... LOL.

What you said about the bushing on the bracket moving is just what I have. I did not find one better than mine in the junk yard so bought new

Back