Front Locker Performance in a 2nd Generation Explorer | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Locker Performance in a 2nd Generation Explorer

Nope its an AWD system thats always engauged.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about swapping in a vacuum assist front axle (1995-96) so you can 'disengage' the right front CV shaft at will? Then, you'd have 3WD instead of AWD and the right front would free wheel.

wouldn't the CV spining cause the locker to lock up?

I think that after reading this thread - and thinking about the issues involved in putting a locker in the front axle of a D35 IFS, the real issue is not if there are lockers available - but that the factory wiring needs modification to work. That takes the locker out of the realm of a drop in item and the manufacturers are hesitant to build them. Unless I have missed something, almost any D35 lunchbox locker will drop into the carrier and work if one can disconnect the front axle - which we are doing as a matter of course in this install. Just remember that there are two different D35 carrier sizes - a 1.5 (large side gears) and a 1.6 (small side gears -- I know it doesn't make sense, but it's true!).

Bronco638 said:
How about swapping in a vacuum assist front axle (1995-96) so you can 'disengage' the right front CV shaft at will? Then, you'd have 3WD instead of AWD and the right front would free wheel.

Well, this is what mine is currently doing. Thats why I have a pulled front driveshaft, and that why I dont have 4wd. I am saving my money for a manual t-case, but it will be a while :mad:

It would be rediculous to keep driving it on the road, the wear on the front parts, would be too much. Not to mention the pull it creates... I could barely hold onto the wheel, and its power steering.

My son's 4x4 shop has a number of manual T-cases for sale... I was suprised when I saw them just sitting on a shelf... PM me for info.

Nitrous - it shouldn't because there is a disconnect coupling within the axle tube that keeps the short outer axle shaft from turning the CV shaft. The vacuum assist actuates a 'shift fork', very similar to a manual transmission, that moves the coupling which engages or disengages the outer axle shaft (and therefore the CV shaft). The inner axle shaft turns constantly since it slips into the side gears (or NoSlip or LockRite) within the carrier. I have a disassembled front diff at home if you want to see pictures.

gl - Have you determined which carriers are in which model year Explorers? And, how do you tell which is which?

Thanks, Dave.

Bronco638 said:
Nitrous - it shouldn't because there is a disconnect coupling within the axle tube that keeps the short outer axle shaft from turning the CV shaft. The vacuum assist actuates a 'shift fork', very similar to a manual transmission, that moves the coupling which engages or disengages the outer axle shaft (and therefore the CV shaft). The inner axle shaft turns constantly since it slips into the side gears (or NoSlip or LockRite) within the carrier. I have a disassembled front diff at home if you want to see pictures.
The vacuum disconnect works fine w/o a locker, but won't work like you're thinking once you put a lunchbox style locker in. With spider gears in, even if the diff is given power the disconnected shaft is allowed to spin either way to 'release' the power. However, with a locker in, the drivers side tire would always be locked in, and so you'd have serious handling issues.

Knowing Ford, there could be different models in different years, but my 92 took the 1.5 (large) sized spyders. Jeep also used various models for various years - so you have to compare them. Visually, both sets look almost the same but mechanically, the "smaller" (1.6 - as in the diameter of the part of the end gears that slip into the carrier housing) are actually larger in width or thickness, while the "larger" (1.5 - which are larger in the diameter of the end that slips into the carrier housing) are thinner. It is impossible to put in the 1.6 into a 1.5 carrier, and vice versa. Spline counts are the same and I used "Jeep" spyder gears and locker, which fit perfectly except for the C-clip elimination thing.

Hope this helps.

Jeff - I see your point. With a driven left front wheel, the truck might feel like it's 'pulling' right.

gl - I didn't realize you were referring to a '92 front diff. For fun, I had the parts guy (knows his stuff) at the Ford dealer check for different carriers or internal parts. He came up with nothing. But, I thought we were only referring to 2nd Gen Explorers. Thanks for the clarification.

D.

Is there any chance of putting this locker on without taking the axle off? The same way you would do the rear, take the diff. cover off, take the cross pin off, remove spier gears, install locker, done. Or is it just to tight of a space?? And the only way to get the pass. cv axle out is to remove the ball joint on the pass. side???

There is no way to put in a front locker on any year Ex without pulling the "pig" (also called ham, differential, etc.). There is no front cover as in solid axles on earlier Ford products or Jeeps. The differential litterally bolts to Ford's metal axle housing as it would have a front cover bolted to it, so the answer is, yes, the front axle housing has to be pulled first, but that doesn't always mean that the axle beams must be dropped. On my 1st Gen, I can pull the housing without pulling a beam by popping the spring, and taking off the radius arm bolt - after that it pops right off.

Here is a pic of my son and I (and thanks David for the help!) pulling the differential in the parking lot at Moab to replace a bad locker with spider gears...

15014Truck_fix_at_Moab.jpg

Yep axle housing has to come out. On the IFS axles, there is a cover, but you can't get it out without dropping the axle because of the frame cross member. It's not too hard to do since the housing is only held to the frame with 3 bolts. Here's the quick and dirty on how to do it. Some details omitted :)

1. Jack up front of vehicle and secure on jackstands.

2. Remove tires, unbolt brake calipers and hang out of way on coat hangers.

3. Remove upper ball joint pinch bolt and separate spindle bracket from ball joint

4. By leaning the spindle bracket out you should be able to pop the axleshafts out of the axle tubes. It may take some positioning of the steering wheel to do. Oil will come out the tubes.

5. Disconnect breather hose and any electrical connections that might be on the axle housing

6. Disconnect front driveshaft from axle.

7. Place jack under axle and remove the 3 bolts holding the axle in place. Axle should now drop out of frame.

Good Luck!! :cool:

Sorry guys. After I posted this I went and looked under the truck. There is no way the cross memember (like JDraper said) is in the way and also the steering rack is in the way too.

My bad.

Thanks for the quick response!!

so can we still get no slips for the front end of our trucks or what??

Lefty-I'm looking into it. Sumit and rubicon4x4 say they have the powertrax 92-0435-2702 for sale. Pricey!!! I'll let you know if I can track one down for sure.

front no-slip was $360-450 when i got mine, depending on where you looked.

Thats good to hear. Thats the price ranges I've been quoted. 352 shipped is the best I've found so far, still looking. Hopefully have it order no later than 1st part of next week!!! woohoo!!!

Update on my front locker performance or more importantly my transfer case performance.

First I can't say my front locker is as completely unnoticeable as the no-slip in the rear. But when it does rarely remind me it is there it is nothing significant, and I wouldn't take it out for anything.

I have noticed the limits of the t-case as GJarrett mentioned earlier. In some spots offroad where I am crawling up an obstacle where there is less traction in the rear than the front, but not enough traction to get me over the obstacle, my rear tires will spin while the front just kinda twitches, like it is getting power but not enough to spin the tires or get me up. But there are times in lower traction spots when all four tires spin, so I know the locker is working properly.

But I have to agree that it may be a good thing as I know the front shafts on my Ex are not nearly as strong as they should be so as mentioned earlier the tcase acts kinda like a fuse.

Bad news is in some extreme situations I still have to use the throttle to get through.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPS guy just dropped off my new locker!!!! Woohoo, going to put it on this weekend. Only place I could find one was www.rubicon4x4.com this thing is SO pricely, wow. $379 shipped to my house.

I'll post my results after I get it in this weekend. Thanks for the sweet how to on tearing apart the front end!!!

Back