• Register Today It's free!

front driveshaft

mwalch

Reaction score
City, State
port orchard, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Howdy: I have a 96' Explorer XLT AWD. The front u-joint in the front driveshaft is bad. My question is, how does it disconnect from the transferre case? It has a cover over, what I think is a CV joint. Do I just need to replace the front u-joint with the driveshaft connected to the transferre case?

MW

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't see why you couldn't replace it while still connected to the car but that would be a pain in the rear. If it's like the drive shaft on my v6 explorer then it was 8 8mm (I think) bolts going around the metal part of the cover. You take those out then it should pull out of the transfer case. Be careful whats in there is 5 ball bearings inside a metal ring held on a knuckle on the end of the shaft. So be careful, the balls could come loose and roll away. You probably also want to clean the grease out of there and put new grease in, just be careful to not rip the rubber boot because it's supposedly not replaceable.

A ball joint/U joint press comes in handy for jobs like this:
lowerballjoint_035_Medium_.jpg

I don't see why you couldn't replace it while still connected to the car but that would be a pain in the rear. If it's like the drive shaft on my v6 explorer then it was 8 8mm (I think) bolts going around the metal part of the cover. You take those out then it should pull out of the transfer case. Be careful whats in there is 5 ball bearings inside a metal ring held on a knuckle on the end of the shaft. So be careful, the balls could come loose and roll away. You probably also want to clean the grease out of there and put new grease in, just be careful to not rip the rubber boot because it's supposedly not replaceable.
Thats great help! Thanks.

Back