front end 93eb | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front end 93eb

class16

Reaction score
i have a 93eb w/164K, my front end feels loose..I have replaced all 4 ball joints and radius arm bushings{poly}. I was thinking of a poly kit for the front,does anyone have any ideas? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Class16,
I too have a 93EB and I'm not sure in what way yours is loose, ie, wanders on highway, loose in steering wheel, or what. But I did find any easy fix for a front end problem I had on mine. I too had my radius arms replaced recently as mine were toast. I had them replaced with energy suspension poly bushings. It was better, but under some conditions, like sharp turns on pavement, I could feel movement and occasionally a thump under my feet. I saw a post on the Singleton site, it works and was dirt cheap. The bushings, apparently Ford and aftermarket are a bit too short. Ie, when you tighten the big bolt against the shoulder on the radius arm, the bushings and crossmember aren't squished together tight enough. Go to the hardware store and buy 4 flat washers with an inside diameter of 1" (if memory serves). I bought them for $1.79/lb, so 4 were like $.85. The ones I got were about a 1/8" thick. I tried one on each side, drove it for a few days, then added another and problem solved. Take the large nut off the R/A and add the washer(s). Make sure the hole in the washer slides over the shoulder on the R/A. Even with 2 washers installed, with a 10" cresent wrench, I could still tighten the nut all the way to the shoulder by hand. Not sure if that's all that's loose on yours, but its a cheap thing to try first.
CJ

You might want to replace the radius arm pivot bushings. They do wear over time. They aren't especially hard to replace, just a royal pain the butt!

My suggestion is, if you are going to go through all that work, replace them with poly - they will last much longer.

I took my truck to the shop and had them throw on the entire set of Energy Suspension bushings for the front-end (still have the rear in a bag). Definite improvement over stock. The whole kit was like $115 from summit racing 800-230-3030

Is this looseness in the steering wheel. If the steeering has play you need to check if you have worn out tie rods. Also your gearbox might have play in it. If the play is in the steering, have someone turn the steering wheel side to side where the play is, if the steering shaft where it conncect to the gearbox is turning yet the pitman arm is not then the play is in the gearbox. I know cause I have play in my explorers gearbox.

Back