Front end clunk/Camber issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end clunk/Camber issues

daizex

Reaction score
What type of car: 96 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer v6

I have had a loud front end noise for quite some time on both sides of my car, I’ve been told numerous times that it’s my control arm. The top of my tires are leaning in toward my car causing the inner tire to wear down(negative camber I believe it's called).

My question is would replacing the upper control arm solve both the front end clunk and the camber problem I have or would I need to take my car in for a front end alignment to fix the camber?

I’m pretty confident I could change out my upper control arms myself, but I’m a little worried that it would affect my alignment even more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its always advisable to get an alignment done after replacing supporting suspension parts!

I'm more guessing that your lower ball joints are shot. Jack it up and start checking things. If they're ****ed in that bad you should be able to see play in them by moving the tire. What type of front end noise? A pop or clunk?

+1 on balljoints. I have replaced them several times on the explorer.

at 165k I did a full front end rebuild because I got tired of chasing noises and now it's perfect :)

The noise is definitely a clunk, like solid metal on metal. I’ve jacked my car up and grabbed the top and bottom of the tire and can move them back and forth. Is there a specific way I can tell if it’s the upper or lower ball joints? I can push down on the front end and hear the clunking but I just can’t see where/what is causing it but it’s definitely in the tire area.

are the ball joint boots torn?

I'll take a few pictures when I get home, but I do think the boots are torn.

I'm pretty sure at a minimum your lower ball joints are shot. Have someone move the tire while you watch the lower ball joint and if you can feel the movement you'll be able to see it.

Those appear to be the original ball joints and the clunk could be the ball going up and down in the socket part of the joint. If it's wearing the tires that bad and the noise is the lower ball joint you probably should have it looked at. It's not good when a lower ball joint comes apart, lol.

I’m thinking I’m gonna go ahead and replace both upper control arms and lower ball joints since I hear the clunk on both sides of the vehicle. I’ll get a front end alignment after I’ve replaced them all but I wanted to make sure I’m getting the right parts. I looked at oreillyauto.com for the parts I need and searched for them on amazon to get them cheaper, I decided to go with the Moog parts since I’ve had good experience with them in the past.
Below are the parts on amazon but for some reason on amazon they say they won’t fit my car, but on oreillyauto.com they say they are for my vehicle. Will these part’s work for my car?

Front left Upper Control Arm:
http://www.amazon.com/Moog-K8708T-C...ord|54&Year=1996|1996&vehicleType=6&carId=001

Right Upper Control Arm:
http://www.amazon.com/Moog-K8710T-U...ord|54&Year=1996|1996&vehicleType=6&carId=001

Lower Ball Joints:
http://www.amazon.com/Moog-K8695T-L...ord|54&Year=1996|1996&vehicleType=6&carId=001
I was a little confused on oreillyauto.com, what’s the difference between this lower ball joint and an oversized lower ball joint?

I have had uppers go out, exact same symptoms.

I'm gonna go ahead and replace them but does anyone know the correct part number for the lower ball joint? I've checked several sites that say the K8695T is correct but I'm trying to get it on amazon for half the price and they say it doesn't fit...Is this just a mistake on their end?

Look your parts up on this site and compare prices. They have always done good by me and they're a site vendor.

http://www.rockauto.com/

Thanks for the link to the site, very useful!!! While searching I came across cheaper lower ball joints, I’m willing to spend a little more for quality/reliability. But I came across these RAYBESTOS Part # 5051281B lower ball joints. Has anyone had any experience with them?

I also came across these cheaper MOOG control arms:
MOOG Part # RK8708
MOOG Part # RK8710

I tried doing some google searching but can’t find them on the MOOG site or any reviews of them.

I should be receiving my parts today and plan on changing the upper control arms and lower ball joints this weekend but before I get started I just needed a little clarification.

I’ve seen a couple threads and videos of people changing out their control arms/ball joints and noticed that some use an extra jack stand for the lower control arm for the suspension while some people don’t.

So my question is, do I need to use a jack stand to support the suspension on the lower control arm? If so where exactly is the best place to put it without getting in the way? If I don’t need to use the jack stand will the suspension cause the control arm to smash to the ground once I take apart the control arm?

You have to either use a jack or a jackstand to support the lower control arm. I used a jackstand so I could use the jack to put the lower BJ back in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back