Front End Clunking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front End Clunking

roys29

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ok, I'm new to the forum and have spent hours looking at previous posts about front end clunking and really can't find anything that applies to my problem. I have a '96 Explorer LTD 4WD. In 2WD mode, when the vehicle is cold, and I accelerate in a straight line from a stop I hear a continuous clunking noise from what sounds like the driver's side front end. If I turn the wheels the clunking goes away until I again accelerate in a straight line. As the speed increases the frequency of the clunking also increases. Once the vehicle warms up the clunking goes away, and it only seems to occur when I accelerate. I just replaced both front hub/bearing assemblies but I'm not sure how that would be related. Normally I would think this was a universal joint but I'm just not that familiar with the 4WD parts. I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I'm beginning to worry about the safety of my vehicle. Thanks for any help.

Roy

Thanks for the reply BrooklynBay. What should I check for and how do I check it?

This thread might help you: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542. It explains the function of the shift motor. Check to see if the noises are in all settings or possibly just in one. Check all of the front end parts while you are under the truck (bushings, ball joints, axles, radius arms, etc). Sounds travel.

Back