Fixed front end clunk (inside) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fixed front end clunk (inside)

jackak10

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer 2WD
I've had the same front end clunking noise in my 98 ex. Today while under the car looking for anything that could be loose from the front to the back I noticed that the rubber bushings on the front sway bar had rotted and fallen out. Not the big bushings that hold the bar to the frame, the little ones on the link that goes from the sway bar to the lower arm.

I took the long bolts out along with all the other stuff to take to the parts house to make sure I got the right parts. I backed out of the driveway and noticed -- no clunk!

I've been used to odd clunking noises pretty much all the time but they are gone. Looks like when the bushings rotted and fell out they left the bolts with enough room to slop around and clunk. It sounds so nice and quiet now I just might leave it the way it is.

I've had the same front end clunking noise in my 98 ex. Today while under the car looking for anything that could be loose from the front to the back I noticed that the rubber bushings on the front sway bar had rotted and fallen out. Not the big bushings that hold the bar to the frame, the little ones on the link that goes from the sway bar to the lower arm.

I took the long bolts out along with all the other stuff to take to the parts house to make sure I got the right parts. I backed out of the driveway and noticed -- no clunk!

I've been used to odd clunking noises pretty much all the time but they are gone. Looks like when the bushings rotted and fell out they left the bolts with enough room to slop around and clunk. It sounds so nice and quiet now I just might leave it the way it is.

You can get replacement kits for the front sway bar for $12-16 per side from your local store (napa, autozone, etc). The kits come with the bushings and new bolts with spacers, and take about 5 minutes to put on (which you should know since you took the old ones off)

Back