• Register Today It's free!

front end noise, bushings?

timpbearden22

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer sport trak
My 67000 miles, 2001 Ford Explorer Sport trak has recently started a loud noise coming from both front ends that sound like bushings. When I ride over a speed bump or the truck is moving I hear the loud and obnoxious creaking noise. suggestions?:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

I dont know about the creaking noise but if your hearing a worn bushing noise the first thing that pops into my head is your sway bar end links. These trucks had problems with those. To make sure that is your problem, remove them, take her around the block and if it stopped...Problem solved! they-re cheap and easy to remove/install.

Here is a pic of where they are located if you dont already know. Yours are not going to be all pretty like these after market ones on this truck.....
I found the pic in MountaineerGreen's thread.
superliftinstall_015_Small_.jpg

Thanks a bunch. I will check those out and get back to you:)

It also could be your lower ball joints. They have a tendency to go out on these trucks. Check these after checking your sway bar end links.

I would also check the sway bar bushings. That's usually been the problem for me in the past.

thanks

Due to your photos and wisdom, I called a buddy, emailed the photos, and we are working on the truck this Saturday. I am hoping it is nothing serious. Will keep you posted. Thanks so much for all your help.:D

My 67000 miles, 2001 Ford Explorer Sport trak has recently started a loud noise coming from both front ends that sound like bushings. When I ride over a speed bump or the truck is moving I hear the loud and obnoxious creaking noise. suggestions?:(

I had that problem on my 97 Sport twice. Once at 45K miles and again at 75K miles. It turned out to be the tie rod ends. They replaced one set (I don't remember if it was the inners or outters) at 45K and both sets at 75K. It has something to do with the high heat in Texas (just like Georgia, I'm sure) and the number of "speed bumps" you go over!

Chris

Sway bar links kit

I got a great deal at Napa for sway bar links kit for $24 and installed today. For some reason, the noise was gone today....go figure, but I replaced them anyway. We'll see....

thanks for everyone's help:cool:

I had the same problem last weekend. My driverside lower ball joint was bad.
If it sqweeked when you turned the steering wheel back and forth it is likely
the same problem. If it happens only when it goes up and down it may be the sway bar bushings.

Weird thing....it squeaked and squeaked. Then it stopped. Not certain if it is weather related or not? Changed Sway bar links anyway

Do you need to have the front end re-aligned after replacing the sway bar links?

It seems to me the alignment shop told me that. I hope I'm making that up because it really doesn't make sense from the pictures, and I don't need another $70 alignment job.

Back