bigred4x4

Off-road enthusiast
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
chesapeake virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 xlt 4x4
Ok so I had a bad creaking noise when I went over bumps iv replaced all steering and suspension components up front with the exception of sway bar bushing I get a different creak now and some popping noises turning going over bumps ,etc at low speed I figure it could be the bushings,cv's maybe or tbars everything else is new what do y'all think?

Seemed a little more prominent after replacing the worn kevlar wear pads with Teflon and doing a torsion twist .. All this along with new a arms and shocks recently.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tighten the hell out if your frame mounted control arm bolts and report back.

Ok the upper arms are tight enough to cause bushing binding (I know that's not good it is starting to crack the fairly new bushings but has been that way since last alignment,have cam bolts installed) the lowers I torqued to minimum value to avoid that since there a lot more involved in replacing. Maybe try going halfway to Max torque? See if that helps? There also seems to be a small amount of noise from the rear not positive probably thinking leaf bushings there pretty worn but I need new leaf packs anyway.

That's how the bushings are supposed to work. The center part stays fixed and the outside twists on the center. I'd tighten your lower arms TIGHT and see if the noise stops.

Ok I will torque to Max value and lube the slip yoke (iv actually never done it:shifty:.... Yea I know!) Lol I get lazy sometimes I tried a needle attachment for the grease gun but broke it trying to get it through. Is there another cheat for this because I know it's supposed to be done regularly..... I'll report back hopefully I can buy get it done tomorrow.

That's how the bushings are supposed to work. The center part stays fixed and the outside twists on the center. I'd tighten your lower arms TIGHT and see if the noise stops.

The rubber is supposed to twist? That's what's happening to my uppers and it seems to be prematurely cracking and splitting the rubber.

Yes if you look at the center part it has splines to help it grab and hold still. Thing is your supposed to leave all your arms slightly loose till you put the truck back on its weight and not on the jack. Then bounce on the truck to get it to settle to actual ride height and tighten both the upper and lower arm bolts as tight as you can. Getting to actual torque value can be hard with tires on but it's how it's supposed to be done. That way the bushings are centered at ride height and won't bind or split (unless they are old or cheap ebay ones)

Well my upper arms are cheap so that might explain it and I torqued the bolts on the lower the way you described but I went minimum 83 ft lbs I believe. But I'll try to go higher see what that does. But with the driveshaft does it HAVE to be removed to lube? Or is the needle attachment for grease gun to poke through the boot the only way otherwise . If it does have to be removed where do you get replacement boot clamps?

Ok so I tightened to 8 pounds under Max at 140 ft pounds and I got my work out for the day by just crawling under to do that under the truck. And it seems most of the popping noise is gone so far . Thanks boomin... Still have the squeaking but I know that is sway bar bushings not too worried about that right now. With the stiffer ride on the TT is the sway bar up front necessary? Just wondering.

Ok so I tightened to 8 pounds under Max at 140 ft pounds and I got my work out for the day by just crawling under to do that under the truck. And it seems most of the popping noise is gone so far . Thanks boomin... Still have the squeaking but I know that is sway bar bushings not too worried about that right now. With the stiffer ride on the TT is the sway bar up front necessary? Just wondering.

Need a softer ride myself. For now the front sway bar stays in to help prevent broken torsion bars and cv axles. Here's where a limit strap is needed.

I feel the pain too. No pun at all.

What about loosening the end links a little ? Will longer end links help with the ride at all ? I mean it's not super bad I can live with it but it's not exactly a Cadillac either . Lol kinda defeats the purpose of ifs.

Back