• Register Today It's free!

Front End Noise

Justawajz

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Mountaineer
Ok guys I'm having a weird problem on my front end. I have a 99 Mountaineer and I just had the axels re-geared with yukon 4.56's and also did a suppension lift and installed fox coilovers. I have a grinding noise that sounds to be comming from the front axel. When I first start driving It dosn't made a peep but after a few minutes it will start up. It will mainly start doing it at higher rate of speed and when I let off the gas and coast. But not everytime so it's kinda weird. At first we thought it was the AWD Tcase so we dropped it and replaced the chain and all bearings and seals. Still had the nosie so we pulled it again and put a totally different case up. Noise still there... So we replaced both the front cv axels with new ones(not remaned) and it was still there.. Also dropped the diff and checked the gears, no wear at all, even replaced the inner and outter bearings. The thing is when we pulled the front drive shaft it dosn't make a sound.. It's a totatly different car. In a effort to rule wheel bearings out I replaced those too.. I had already junked my old drive shaft because I put one from superlift on to deal with the new driveline angle. So I went to the junk yard pulled one put it back on and still.. Same noise... It's gotta be somthing in the front diff, but everthing looks to be ok. Has anyone had any issues regearing the dana35's in the 2'nd gens.....? I have been jumping through hoops with this for weeks and it is driving me nuts!! Any help would be amazing!

Back