Front end passenger side click/clack noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end passenger side click/clack noise

SavaX

Reaction score
City, State
Chico, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 V6 Mountaineer
Hey everyone, figured I'd post here before tearing my front end apart trying to figure out where this noise is coming from. It's also raining so I have time to do some research :)

A few thousand miles ago I had my front hubs replaced as they were making a loud droning noise at freeway speeds. Few thousand miles/months later I noticed a slight click from my front passenger side. Didn't think much of it until it started becoming more of a clack clack clack type sound. Here's the kicker; the noise totally stops when I apply the brakes. I also noticed the noise seems to go away at freeway speeds.

Pulled my brake caliper off and didn't see anything wrong, didn't pull the rotor though. Did check the cv boots and they were in good shape.

Trying to pin down what the issue might be because I'm short on both money and free time to work on it, so I don't want to just throw parts at it (like I normally would) hahaha.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking a bad CV axle. They usually make a clicking/clacking noise and tend to do it more in corners. Often the boots tear and the grease flies out and the dirt/water gets in, but that's not always the case. Also the front drive shaft's CV joint on the 4x4's makes the same sound for the same reason, but it's located on the driver's side. I recently rebuilt the CV on my front driveshaft using a Dorman rebuild kit. It's a messy job, but it wasn't hard to do. Cost was around $85 off eBay. I'm not a big Dorman fan, but they're the only one I could find that offered a rebuild kit.

Thanks. I saw the guide on the forum, doesn't look too crazy since I was able to replace my lower ball joint a while back. Looks like I need to find some space to work on it.

Wanted to ask in here before starting a new thread. New cv shaft went in no problem, and the noise is gone. However now my truck makes a high pitched whine from just after starting to just before stopping. Could I have lost some fluid from the front diff to cause this? Or was I supposed to grease the splines that go into the hub on the front wheel?

Wanted to ask in here before starting a new thread. New cv shaft went in no problem, and the noise is gone. However now my truck makes a high pitched whine from just after starting to just before stopping. Could I have lost some fluid from the front diff to cause this? Or was I supposed to grease the splines that go into the hub on the front wheel?

Just a wild guess check power steering fluid level

I've got a noise like described, but it sound more like a rubbing sound. Like a high spot on the brake rotor. Like the OP description it goes away with very minor pressure on the brakes. I've inspected the brakes and they look good, and the brakes work good. No pulling, grabbing or pulsing. So am I looking for a replacement CV joint?

Sent from my LGL15G using Forum Runner

Rubber dust shield on the axle rubbing on the back of the hub assembly. It will wear down after a little while.

Back