Front end too stiff!

Gadget X

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gibsonville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 5-speed
Not sure if anyone else has this same issue, but I haven't been able to find what I need using the search. The front end on my 94 seems to be excessively stiff. It has virtually NO flex at all, and if I go over any uneven terrain, even a speed bump or a driveway curb, at an angle, it will beat the occupants back and forth! Just want something that will keep the same height, but be a little more "forgiving" than what I have now! I've read somewhere that bronco springs are softer and will fit, but again, just not sure. Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your all stock you can make some cheap improvements.

Number 1; Tires. The type of tire can make a huge difference.

If you are commuting on city streets adjust your air pressure down a bit.

If your "highway" rated tire pressure is 32psi run 28 in town, air back up for long highway runs.

Number 2; shocks. Get a set of good shocks.

Number 3; sway bar. From a safety stand-point there is not much to be done here or at least none that I will recommend.

Usually what happens is the coil springs sagged (from age) to the point that travel is noticably reduced. The beams are so close to the bump stops that they hit for any big bumps or obstacles. You should be able to tell this visually - look at how close the beams are to the bump stops, or measure the height to the axle pivot bolt on the passenger side and compare that to the height of the center of the wheel hubs. If the pivot bolt is lower than the center of the hub, the sagging is pretty bad. An 'ideal' height is having the axle pivot bolt either even or about an inch higher than the center of the hub.

If you want to do an easy fix for cheap, you can just stack some 1-1/4 in. ID / 3.0 in. OD washers under the coil spring seats, 4 or 5 washers can raise it up back to stock height.

If you want to spend a little more, you can get new coil springs, Moog makes some, CC868, that are stock size/height but have a dual rate, so the initial compression is 'softer' for good wheel travel, but gets stiffer for good performance in corners.

If you have lift springs, you will need to figure out what will work for the height you want. Skyjacker springs seem to get decent reviews as far as ride quality, compared to some other brands.

Don't forget to align it or get an alignment afterwards.

Right, Ha, I forgot the bumps on mine were only 1" off the beam when I bought it.

Ride height correction was the solution. + all the other stuff.

The ride height is fine, in fact the front end sits higher than most stock 1st gens that I've seen, it's just plain stiff with no give at all! Sounds like the moog dual rate springs might be my best option. At some point, I plan on doing an SOA and lifting the front about 5", so it might be more cost effective to just start working on that, instead of buying springs twice!

I agree.

Time to start collecting parts! :D

Also, just to clarify, this is what I'm talking about.
20140524_145322.jpg

See how even though the rear tire is stuffed, the front end doesn't flex at all!

20140524_145338.jpg

20140524_145349.jpg

I definitely forsee a set of progressive rate springs in my future!

See how even though the rear tire is stuffed, the front end doesn't flex at all!

I definitely forsee a set of progressive rate springs in my future!
That's the nature of the TTB front. It has to have a stiffer spring than a solid axle.
The key is getting coils with just the right spring rate. Stock coils are about 500, most aftermarkets are 400, but the from what I read, the best number would be 300-350.
Anyone know what those Moogs are rated?

There's some good info in this link: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Fall2003/MaximumFlexForTheTTB.htm and there's a few other articles there worth reading on the same subject.

Also, just in case you don't know, if you try to flex the front and have the sway bar attached, you won't flex much no matter what springs you have.

Yeah, sounds like the expectations for a stock front end were kind of high.

Moog doesn't rate their springs, nor are most dual-rate springs rated either, but the Moog replacement springs are very highly rated as a product line and seem to get the rates just right in terms of ride quality and handling.

If you want a flexy front end though, you should get a lift and some of the softer rated coils, along with longer radius arms. (You'll also need longer brake lines)

At stock height (or worse, at lower than stock height with old, sagging springs) even with soft springs and the sway bar disconnected, the bump stops and the short radius arms are limiting factors. A lift adds room for upward travel, and longer radius arms allow more travel and in a smoother arc.

I thought you were talking about street driving.

Obvious in those pics that the front sway bar is still connected.

Disconnect it and try again. (not recommended that you leave it disconnected on the street)

Back