Front End Vibration at 45MPH+ Believe it to be front driveshaft? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front End Vibration at 45MPH+ Believe it to be front driveshaft?

redstx40

Reaction score
City, State
California - Bay Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ranger STX
Vibration at 45MPH+ Searching for clues

Hey,

So I started gradually having this front end vibration that starts exactly at 45mph.

The thing is that, when I'm constantly accelerating I get no vibrations, not even at 45mph or past 45mph. But when I start lettting off the gas, the front end starts shaking/vibrating when i'm at and/or above 45mph.

I don't think its a tire balance isssue as I have experienced this long ago in the past.

I believe its probably the front driveshaft or the left or right shafts.

I was thinking that I could take off the front drive shaft from the front axle and the transfer case. Then test drive the car at 45mph+ without the front drive shaft. Is this possible or do I need to have the front drive shaft there? I don't want to be going over 45mph and then have the front end do something crazy cause of not having the front driveshaft installed. Or have the transfer case leaking oil cause of having the driveshaft off (not sure).
(I checked other posts but the other rangers are newer)

Anyone have symptoms like this? I will see if I can check the front driveshaft U-Joints for play. Not sure how much play there is supposed to be though. Just trying to get some ideas and see if I can drive the vehicle without the front driveshaft to see if thats the problem.

Also this only in 2WD. Tried reversing to make sure that the hubs were unlocked and checked that they wern't hot after driving on the highway which they wern't hot.

Thanks

Hopefully this may help someone in the future that has the same problem with a high mileage ranger.

92 Ford Ranger STX, 4.0L, 4X4 AutoHubs, Super Cab, 248xxx miles, think thats all the info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really don't think its the front driveshaft. However, you can remove it to do a quick check and see if it is.

Yup you can takwe out that front shaft and not have a problem. I dont think i have seen any with a slip spline in transfer-case in the front so you are good. Just pull it out and see. If its a part time 4x4, then that front shaft doesn't spin unless the axle in ingaged to i believe, at least thats how it is in the newer ones. Let us know what you find.

So far, I cleaned the hubs and checked to make sure they wern't engaged.

Then made sure the front drive shaft wasn't turning while driving/moving.

Checked wheel bearings no play, unless its doing something weird at high speed. No play with tie rods either.

I'm thinking it mite be the tires, but I just recently did a rotation that didn't solve the problem.

Can't get the bolt off the front differential, spraying lots of PB into it. Wish it was a regular bolt so I could use the impact on it.

May try an alignment, only been about 2 years since I had the last alignment.

The front end seems to be pretty solid. Will continue to update.

Checked wheel bearings no play, unless its doing something weird at high speed. No play with tie rods either.

I'm thinking it mite be the tires, but I just recently did a rotation that didn't solve the problem.

Can't get the bolt off the front differential, spraying lots of PB into it. Wish it was a regular bolt so I could use the impact on it.

So what did you eventually find? I have the exact same issue now

So what did you eventually find? I have the exact same issue now
just a note redstx hasnt been round here for about 11 years. hopefully you get a response however!

Back