• Register Today It's free!

Front End vibration

HDeSoto

Reaction score
City, State
MCkinney, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I have a 99 XLT that has a front end vibration when I brake from over 25 mph. The front end starts shimmying. I replaced the outer tie rod ends and shocks but still happens. The brakes look pretty good with lots of pad left. This vehicle has 112K miles but is in great shape.
Any ideas?
I didn't replace the inner tie rod as it appears pretty tight.

Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can say with 99.99% confidence that you have warped front brake rotors. This is very common on early Explorers. The brakes are just too small. The pad thickness can be good but if the rotors are warped it will cause a shimmy/vibration under braking. It will require new pads and resurface/replacement of the rotors. We have found the best solution to slow this down is the combination of Carbon Metalic Pads & Slotted Rotors. The more agressive pads offer better stopping power and the slotted rotors are less prone to warping. The combination improves brake performance and longevity. We just finished a special on the Power Slot Rotors, but I will extend the special to any Explorer Forum members that are interested.

http://www.explorerexpress.com/catalog/pages/brakes.html

Just contact John V.!

Would this problem with front brake rotors also cause a screech while breaking and continue from somewhere around 20 mph until stop? I have thick pads. The screech did not start until the thicker pads were put on...My 99 XLT has been in the shop too much $$$ Nobody can seem to fix this.

Erin'sX: Some brake pads squeal no matter what you do, especially ones that are designed to give you an extended pad life over those originally equipped.

HDeSoto: Definately sounds like warped rotors. You won't be able to tell by looking at them.

I had the same sound with mine...finally went to a ceramic pad and it's QUIET as can be...zzzz...

jordan23

Just as an fyi, replacement brake rotors from any auto parts store are going to run you $30.00. If you want to pay 10x that for rotors go ahead, but I've driven many many miles with normal oem style rotors and have never had a problem short of the occasional rotor turning that nearly all vehicles need when you replace your brakes.

Replace rotors, OEM will work just fine too, I have not had any problems...

Back