• Register Today It's free!

Front End

backfrmcolorado

Reaction score
City, State
Commerce Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie B explod*****
Alright just wondering from you First Gen guys.... How many of you have ever done the radius arm brackets and how big of a pain in the arse was it. Ive been doing the drivers side for four hours now and i just put the shock back on. Am i doing ok for the time of the job or is there an easier way to do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Changing the brackets requires drilling out the rivets that attach the bracket to the frame. Once those rivets are out, the bracket should come off pretty easy, without messing with the shock.

yeah well the nut holding the shock on shock mount on the radius arm broke off when i tried to put the new shock on and the the threads for the big nut on the radius arm is stripped. i have no idea wher to go from here.

so the explorer is about to live up to the nick name EXPLODER when i go and park it in a field and explod he dang thing.Nothing but probles from the get go. I have all the correct tools and still no luck. Sorry guys just venting

yeah well the nut holding the shock on shock mount on the radius arm broke off when i tried to put the new shock on and the the threads for the big nut on the radius arm is stripped. i have no idea wher to go from here.
This is actually quite common. "By the book" Ford would have you replace the entire radius arm (it's not as expensive as you might think -- I want to say $50 each). Dorman I think it is has a piece that youj can bolt to the radius arm as a new shock mount. I can't remember part number or where the thread is, but I learned about it from someone here.

I believe the 80's chev trucks used that exact stud you are refering to on the rear shocks. I'm also under the impression the the factory was aware of this issue and has a repair kit available... not 100% sure, but maybe look into it. As far as the bushing end being stripped, you're gonna have to replace the whole radius arm. It's not too terrible of a job... but last time I bought one was last year at this time and price was about $120.00 cdn per arm from the dealer.

Yeah i was able to find two new shock mounts that bolt on the radius arms. Just had to torch off the old ones clean up the hole and bolt new ones on. As far as the radius arm threads i just tightened it as good as i could. They look cross thread. Im thinkin of just rethreading it. Not sure tho.... im i no big hurry to work on her anytime soon after putting about 12 hrs into it cuz everthing was untouched since 94 in guessing. Rear shocks had the ford stamping still on them.

4x4 keeps engaging

91 sport. front passenger side hub engages when turning the corner.while not in 4x4 mode. not all the time. but enough to cause a problem. makes a hell of a rack it. checked wheel bearing and they seem all right. tight any way. what can it be?

91 sport. front passenger side hub engages when turning the corner.while not in 4x4 mode. not all the time. but enough to cause a problem. makes a hell of a rack it. checked wheel bearing and they seem all right. tight any way. what can it be?

check the RA bushings.

Usually it's the hub itself. You might try cleaning the hubs out.

Back