• Register Today It's free!

front end question

richmc

Reaction score
City, State
dover de
Year, Model & Trim Level
91xlt 4dr
had a clunking in my front end so after much research i found the bolt that goes through the front rear and holds the radius arm was loose allowing the rear to twist in the radius arm,my question is,is there any bushings in the front section of the radius arm or axle beam that need to be replaced or is tightening it up just all i need to do?? I have rebuilt everything else and wanted to make sure i didnt miss a bushing. thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

got those i meant in the front of the radius arms where they mount to the rear.

got those i meant in the front of the radius arms where they mount to the rear.

I don't understand where your talking about. There are 3 bolts/nuts on a 4wd explorer on the radius arm itself (4, including the shock mount)..

The RA itself has a nut on the end as it goes into the RA mount. At the front of the RA it is connected to the axle beam via a bolt from the top and a another bolt from the bottom.

~Mark

After re-reading your question.. I "think" your asking if there are any bushings between the Radius arm and the axle beam at the front of the Radius arm. The answer to that is no. To tighten the upper bolt you have to remove the lower nut that removes the spring, and then remove the spring. You will then see what appears to be a nut which is really a 2 sided bolt. You can now tighten that top bolt.

in the front of the radius arms where they mount to the rear.

If you mean on both sides of where it mounts in the radius arm bracket, then yes, each side has a 2 piece bushing that when tightened down, will smush the two pieces together, effectively making it one bushing. To replace both sides of this bushing, you will need to either disassemble the front end or remove the bolts and rivets that hold the radius arm brackets on the frame.

When I read "where it mounts to the rear" as "Where it mounts to the axle beam" then the question makes sense since he said its not the RA bushing.

~Mark

The way it is worded is very confusing.

thanks maniak.sorry for the confusion.but yeah i meant was where the radius arm mounts on the axle beam.

Back