Front hub/ wheel bearing recommendations? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front hub/ wheel bearing recommendations?

mustang6878

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Sport Trac Limited
Looks and sounds like the drivers side front hub/ bearing is starting to puke.

Can I just replace one side with and aftermarket unit or do I have to replace both in order for the ABS to work properly on my 03 Trac 4X4?

I am looking at either Motorcraft, Moog or Timkin hubs from Rock Auto.

Your thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've tried both the Chinese (cheap) and the Timkin. The Chinese lasted 6 months. Timkin's have been 2 years of heavy pounding and still going.

Yes you can replace just 1 and the ABS will work fine. Just keep in mind the other side will fail fairly soon. Mine were 3 months apart.

Timkin it is, Just ordered it from Rock Auto plus a new Moog outer tie rod end. I had it quoted at 3 shops to do it, figure I will save myself about 4 Benjamins doing it myself.

I replaced upper & lower ball joints on both sides last Oct. I figured I can handle this...

No problem at all, exactly 2 hours to do it using nothing but hand tools, also took the time to grease both ball joints. Timkin & Rock Auto came thru for me! Thanks for the advice!

Can I just replace one side with and aftermarket unit or do I have to replace both in order for the ABS to work properly on my 03 Trac 4X4?

I am looking at either Motorcraft, Moog or Timkin hubs from Rock Auto.

Your thoughts?
I have tried two timkins and are on my second replacement in just two months. As soon as I installed both on the same wheel they had a slight humming noise now it is worse. I now have to try a Moog, then a Detroit axle after if the Moog fails.

I am looking at either Motorcraft find more, Moog or Timkin hubs from Rock Auto.

Your thoughts?
I’ve concluded that the front wheel bearing on the pass side is bad, and I see it is an assembly – no way to change out just the bearing.

Who has experience with the replacements from the Chain auto parts stores?

Advance has two versions:

1) “Driveworks” wheel hub assembly for $ 106
2) “National” front hub $216

They look identical, but twice the price????
Any experience with these brand hubs?

As usual the reviews on the site are all over the place – the cheap one is either good as factory – or ready to explode in two miles….(although more positive than neg reviews….)

I have 139K on this truck and reading the forums, it looks like I’m lucky to have made it this far on the bearings.

I’ve concluded that the front wheel bearing on the pass side is bad, and I see it is an assembly – no way to change out just the bearing.

Who has experience with the replacements from the Chain auto parts stores?

Advance has two versions:

1) “Driveworks” wheel hub assembly for $ 106
2) “National” front hub $216

They look identical, but twice the price????
Any experience with these brand hubs?

As usual the reviews on the site are all over the place – the cheap one is either good as factory – or ready to explode in two miles….(although more positive than neg reviews….)

I have 139K on this truck and reading the forums, it looks like I’m lucky to have made it this far on the bearings.

I have a really old set of Moogs on the front of mine! With reading about the quality issues with available bearings I would suggest a Ford factory bearing today like Turdle said! 👍💯

Be aware that if you buy a motorcraft nhub24, (or AFAIK, any Motorcraft part # with the "N" at the front of it) you are getting a lower quality "service design" part, not what came on it from the factory, and overpriced for what it is.

That stated, don't get a Detroit Axle, their parts are low end junk. If buying from a local auto parts store, I'd want to see the hub and only get it if the bearings (are stamped as) Timken. I'd never get the cheapest option at an auto parts store, for something critical/potentially safety-related. Otherwise, get a major brand on Amazon or Rock Auto. Non-service-grade Motorcraft, or Moog, Timken, Centric (if part # doesn't have an "E" at the end for their low end economy line).

Back