Front License Plate Bracket (How to remove?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front License Plate Bracket (How to remove?)

Hey guys!

How's it going? Just bought my first Ford Explorer Sport Trac and was wondering if anyone knew how to remove the Front License Plate bracket? It's a 2004 and I'd like to take the front plate bracket off without marring up my bumper. It appears to be mounted with two plastic fasteners of some kind. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!
Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if i recall correctly, they are those push in type fastners that you just yank out. the little plastic 'screws' with the barbs so it doesn't come out easily.

I used Lineman dikes worked like a dream

Remember - you're going to have holes where it was. I was going to remove mine until I rathered a bracket than holes.

Ford uses plastic rivits to hold the tag brackets on.
And yes holes will remain.
I too would stick with having a tag bracket as opposed to some holes

Just buy a license plate that says explorer or something similar and stick it up there.... I got represent with the SC State logo :)

Sorry, I couldnt keep the camera level while taking the pic, but it will suffice

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 2,426

I think mine has plugs in the holes. You could probably pick some plugs up at autozone or something. I'll choose holes over a front plate. As long as my state doesn't require plates up front, I'm not going to put them on.

My state requires the front license plate as I have VIRGINIA tags.... I just took off the front one b/c it looks gay, and since I go to school in SC, where they dont require front tags, I think im OK:) I like the SC one better :)

removing plate

i got mine out by drilling the plastic rivenut out with a 3/16" drill bit
and after i just installed 3/8" stainless steel plug in it, it look great and it will not rust

The holes aren't really that noticeable, atleast no one has said anything about mine.. and there's only two :/

Back