Front locker ideas ?

Steve A

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
91' EB, 2dr. 4x4
Everyone ,
Here's the deal, We are going with 4.56 gears and the new RD81 ARB rear locker. I talked in person to the ARB rep before purchasing it in Seattle,Wa. They do not offer at this time the updated version for the Dana 35. So I am looking for something in a limited slip unit in front. Is the trac loc the same unit they put in the jeep Dana 35's? If so they are not for us as many jeeper's around here don't really care for them. Any idea's ? Otherwise we'll wait for the next generation ARB's to come out. But maybe the Trac loc could get us bye for now. It goes in the shop Monday so speak now to be heard. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you know if / when they are going to update the ARB for the 35? I would get that( thats my plan) . Since it is such a PITA to get the front opened up I would think you only want to do it once.

I have the Power Trax No-Slip in my rear, and I would recommend it in an instant. Quiet, smooth, full locker, it doesnt feel any different than the LS in my other vehicles( all rears though) I would think it would do well in the front axle, as long as your running manual hubs, and are ready for the "always on" of a locker. Other than that the Trac Lock , or an Auburn would be the next choice- a little cheaper too. Dont know if Auburn has a unit for the c cliped RR 35 though.

Steve you have any pics of Annes truck with the 9.50s on it?

Originally posted by SteveVB
Do you know if / when they are going to update the ARB for the 35? I would get that( thats my plan) . Since it is such a PITA to get the front opened up I would think you only want to do it once.
Other than that the Trac Lock , or an Auburn would be the next choice- a little cheaper too. Dont know if Auburn has a unit for the c cliped RR 35 though.
Steve you have any pics of Annes truck with the 9.50s on it?
Steve & Everyone
Another ARB rep was at our Long Beach,Wa 2BigBroncos weekend run May 5th,6th. I asked him that same question. He said they are upgrading the more popular axles first as parts run out on the existing units. My guess is with in 3-5 years at the most! I know but things could change. We'll try tomorrow to get a few before & after pics posted in the same thread for them as well. Yeah, Steve right now I am leaning towards the trac loc. If we did lock up the front end we would loose to much steering and possibly break axle parts unless it was an ARB. And the snow & freezing rain we get here would be a PITA to drive & steer with. That is a big reason we went the ARB for the 8.8. Thanks for the idea's too. :' )

The rear locker is what most people here have found to be the weaker one. There are a few people that have had problems with the front, but not nearly as many as the rear. I myself would say go ARB anyways in the front. It maybe weaker than the new one, but it's stronger than a LSD. :)

To answer your other question.....I can't see where the Trac-Loc would be the same for the two Dana 35's. Where the Explorer uses the 35 for it's front axle, the J@@p uses it for the rear. Two totaly different designs would be needed. Several members have ran this in the front with few problems as well. :)

GOOD LUCK!@!

3-5yrs

Steve, If its going to take 3-5 years for the redesigned one, I would get the ARB. If it was immediate say 6 months maybe 9 then I would put something else in. 3 -5 years is a ways off lots can change- ( new vehicle, new solid Dana 44 front axle, etc.)

I will be getting the arb for the front, I wouldnt want to get an ARB and then have them come out witha new one in 2 or 3 months, but years is a different story. Like Leebo said I havent heard many bad things said about the ARb in the D35 IFS housing.
I want the ARB in the front since we also get a fair share of snow and ice( not much lately but usually we do). Your right about the locker in the front though in the snow and ice.

Ill look for the pics thanks.

I know several people who run Trac Loc's or the Easy Locker in the front with no problems, some have had trac loc's for years (Ranger X for one). I don't want a locker up front because of the steering problems, and I want to be able to take my truck everywhere, snow, ice, dirt, mud, rocks, etc.. I have been doing a lot of research since I am going for the it this year with an Eaton limited slip (they are now using kevlar graphite plates) front and rear, or maybe a Trac Loc in the front. I would go with ARB's front and rear, but its too much money. I can do the front and rear with the Eatons for the same price as the rear with an ARB.

Thanks Leebo, & Brian, Steve
I think we will go with the Trac loc instead of leaving the front diff open! I was thinking on waiting for the new ARB to come out for the front as well. But for the money the Trac loc would pay for itself assisting the new ARB 8.8 in the rear. We will post pics before and after the lift today too!

Back