Front parking sensors ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front parking sensors ???

dumalkin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Limited AWD 2012
Hi,
I just ordered my Ex, and when I asked salesperson about parking sensors I was told that even LTD comes with back sensors only. They are not aware about any accessory kit that can be added.

I have both back and front parking sensors on my Passat, and my wife got a bit nervous learning that she will have to learn how to park visually, without aids (we have rather small parking lot and have to put vehicle up to the wall to be able close our gate).

I asked in several car shops here, and while some of them carry front sensors kits, they themselves do not recommend install it on new EX - those kits must be turned on manually through some rather ugly switch, and they do not turn off automatically after gaining velocity (in Passat they turn on automatically when reversing - in addition to integrated manual switch, and turn off when car reaches 5 mph or something like that, just like back sensors).

So, anybody is aware of front parking sensors kit that can be connected to EX in a "human-friendly" way ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Whenthe vehicle is turned on, the ultra-sonic sensors start silently scanning in front of the vehicle for five minutes and then turn off automatically" - I don't quite understand how this system is activated when I drive in into my parking (so engine turn-on occured some time ago) ?
And - I ordered limited, which includes also park assist/BLIS and all possible and impossible electronic systems. Does it mean those front sensors will be already installed, but are useful only as part of automatic parking process, and can not alert the driver if the car just goes straight forward and has to be stopped as close to the wall as possible ?

I wonder why the sensors that work so well for the self-parking can't be used for manual parking as well. Is it because they are side-view only and the system just tracks the vehicle position to compute location relative to the known data from the side sensors?

I back into everywhere now (camera + rear sensors) because of this. In the first week I scraped the front valence (not expecting it to be so low on an SUV) and cracked one of the fog lights, since then I use reverse for parking almost everywhere.

Has it definitely been confirmed that there is no front parking sensor on Limited with the technology package?

If so, has anyone installed the front parking accessory sensors, and is the switch for these already built into the dash (it didn't look like there was a switch in the package, just the sensor). Does having dealer install, remove the need for the extra $50 tool (as presumably dealer has that?).

I'm interested as well. I think it was a huge oversight to not put front sensors on it standard with the Limited. We have them on our Pilot and they are a huge help (mostly when turning into garage or tight parking spaces).

Just got new Ex Limited from the dealership.
No front sensors, no switch.
In local shop, where I installed car security/tracking system, they proposed to install "generic" sensors with in-dashboard manual illuminated switch.

Back