Front recovery hooks for 4WD / Plastic Bumper Cap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front recovery hooks for 4WD / Plastic Bumper Cap

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is an area on the right side of the front bumper where a tow hook can be screwed in. Unfortunately Ford has not seen fit to provide the owners with the hook. I don't know why as my previous '09 Highlander had the same setup and Toyota provided you with the tow hook that goes in opening.

Peter

Edit: Found the item. Eyes aren't what they used to be.;)

Attachments

• P1140172_1.JPG
    P1140172_1.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 749

There is an area on the right side of the front bumper where a tow hook can be screwed in. Unfortunately Ford has not seen fit to provide the owners with the hook. I don't know why as my previous '09 Highlander had the same setup and Toyota provided you with the tow hook that goes in opening.

Peter

My 2012 Limited came with the hook that screws into the area behind the pictured tab. It was with the spare tire/jack.

Attachments

• IMG_3941.jpg
    IMG_3941.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 739

Was it just a loose piece or part of something else? I took the spare out and the jack and didn't find it.

Peter

Peter,

Under the spare tire there is a black piece of Styrofoam that holds the jack via velcro straps and it also has a recessed area where the retrieval hook is stored.

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_3946.jpg
    IMG_3946.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 711

Peter,

Under the spare tire there is a black piece of Styrofoam that holds the jack via velcro straps and it also has a recessed area where the retrieval hook is stored.

Scott
Eureka! I found it.:D Thanks for your help Scott. Don't know how I missed that the first time. Perhaps subconsciously I was looking for a silver colored one. That is what the Highlander had. Thanks again.:thumbsup:

Peter

What is that circle on the front end?

Anyone noticed that circle painted the same color as our Explorer on the front end, passenger side of the vehicle below the headlight just above the black molding. Not the one on the side. The larger circle in the front.
What is it? It's only on the passenger side, not the drivers. Maybe a place Ford planned a front camera?

Take a look at this pic:

http://images.conceptcarz.com/imgxra/Ford/2013-Ford-Explorer-SUV_Image-02-1280.jpg

Your recovery hook (tow bolt) screws in here.

Your recovery hook (tow bolt) screws in here.

Where do you find the tow bolt that screws in there, does it come with the Ex. or do you have to purchase it?

I guess it is in the spare tire well, check it out tonight

Where do you find the tow bolt that screws in there, does it come with the Ex. or do you have to purchase it?
It is in the spare tire well. Likely affixed to the jack.

Peter

Where does the tow hook that is in with the jack go on the vehicle

Where does the tow hook that is in with the jack go on the vehicle
I merged your thread with this one found using the 'Search' function. See post 22.

Peter

Question on the front tow hook cover. How to fry it, is there a technique as I don’t want to mess with the paint.

Thanks

Use a trim removal tool, would work better than a flathead. There's a little notch that allows you to pry on it.

Does anybody know what this is for? Right front bumper cover near the fog lights is a small "plug" cover that is removable. 2017 Sport.

It's removed to allow you to screw in a small tow hook which is with the spare tire.

TB

Does anybody know what this is for? Right front bumper cover near the fog lights is a small "plug" cover that is removable. 2017 Sport.
Your thread was merged with this one on the same topic. FYI, the Manual refers to it as a "recovery hook".

Peter

To those who can't find the "tow hook": wrecker drivers, especially flat bed operators, carry with them a selection of tow hooks to fit a variety of vehicles. They know how to pop the cover off and which tow hook is needed. The only problem is that occasionally the little round cover gets lost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

[QUOTE="PapaGary, post: 3650238, member: 320398"............ The only problem is that occasionally the little round cover gets lost.[/QUOTE]That 'cap' currently goes for $33.89 down from $51.35. Then you'll have to get it painted.:)

Back