• Register Today It's free!

Front seat issue

ucluglee

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I got in my Explorer Wednesday morning like usual to go to work, and I had my phone in my pocket. So I leaned back in the seat, not excessively of anything, to get my phone out of my pocket and a heard a slight "click" or maybe "snap" from under my seat. No big deal I thought. The vehicle is 13 years old, it's going to make funny noises. So I backed out of my driveway, put it in drive, and hit the gas. When the acceleration pushed me back in my seat a little, I noticed the front left bottom of my seat was raising up a little. So I stopped and got out and pushed back on the top of the seat and sure enough I could see the left side of the seat move up. So I got back in and went on to work. When I got there I got out and took a look under the seat.

2013-04-12_17-43-06_744.jpg

This is the bar that raises and lowers the front of the seat (power seats). I know what the fix is. There's a place here in town that you can remove parts yourself from junked cars. I can get a power frame for about $30. I've replaced a few in the past but never on my own vehicle.

My question is, has anyone else had this happen to them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like a pretty unusual failure. Takes a lot of force or stress to break something that strong. Maybe it was cracked from the beginning? Maybe the previous driver was a regular at the Chinese buffet?

Looks like a pretty unusual failure. Takes a lot of force or stress to break something that strong. Maybe it was cracked from the beginning? Maybe the previous driver was a regular at the Chinese buffet?

i'm thinking more likely the latter... or maybe he was a Golden Corral fan.

Check with your dealer. I think there was a recall on that part.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't an overweight previous driver issue. I bought the Explorer in December of 1999 with 12 miles on it. And no, it's not an overweight current driver issue either. :)

Stupid question, but will the dealer (cringe) honor a recall on a 13 year old vehicle?

Yeah they will, but I believe I was mistaken. I think the recall on the seat was actually on a bolt for the back or the recliner. I heard about it when I brought my Explorer in a few months ago for the cruise control brake switch recall, but I didn't have them perform it because I was pressed for time. Haven't gotten around to going back since.

Back