Front seats?

SuperSwede

Reaction score
City, State
Småhåla,skogen
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4.0
Hi folks!

I have a 2 door navajo with totally trashed front seats.
Does anyone know if it´s possible to have the cusions from a 4 door (rigid framed seats) and have them mounted onto the foldable frames in my car ?

I cannot find new(used) folding seats anywhere here in Sweden, but rigid ones are available, but out of my range for a visual inspection pre buy..

Thanks for any ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you install rigid seats, then you will have a hard time getting in the back. I do not think that will work well. Have you searched e-bay? Also try some on-line auto patrs places (I did a yahoo search for online used auto parts & had a ton of hits).

Good luck
Walter

If you remove the upholstery, the foam cushions should swap over between the rigid and folding seats. I plan to put new seat foam in my truck soon as well.
Alternatively, you could put a rigid seat in on the driver's side and leave a folding one on the passenger side. The driver's seat is usually the only one needing replacement.

walther: the idea is to keep the folding frames of the original seats and replace the cusions if possible..

2 doored explorer/navajos are super rare here in Sweden .. I have only seen one except for my own.. and they both was imported.. don´t think they ever been for sale here..
Ebay are not an option since the shipping would ruin me..

zwoobah: do you know for sure that the cusions are exchangable between the frame types?

Having one folding and one rigid seat have crossed my mind too.. but since the fabrics of the two seats would probably missmatch, the whole setup would look a bit silly..

The dog of the previous owner went berzerk on the seats so it´s not only the normal wear.. add a bored rottweiler and you get the picture..:rolleyes:

As long as the seats are the same type, the padding will swap over. However, there are several types of 1st gen seats - and I think the Navajos all had the "sport" type bolstered seats. If you can find a 4-door with the bolstered sport seats then the padding and upholstery can be swapped over to your 2-door frames. The frames and padding for the non-bolstered seats are different, so they cannot be swapped.
I've pulled apart a few of these seats at the junkyard. Some of the sport seats have full power, some (like mine) are manual tilt/slide with power lumbar & bolster. The upholstery and padding appears to be exactly the same regardless of power options.

Back