Front Strut Bearings (2) Replaced | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Strut Bearings (2) Replaced

Well there went that theory.

There are cases of premature failure on parts, statistical calculations etc. it does happen and it can happen with just about everything made.

sucks though.

without looking at your car - and not knowing how you bought it etc - I almost want to say perhaps the dealer did something to the car before you bought it. Drove into a curb etc. Not saying it happened but it sure makes me wonder. If all is being covered under warranty I wouldn't worry but it does make one scratch the head.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, after about 113,000 miles, I needed this repair done.

For several months, had a nagging rattle in the front suspension, and the trucks ride quality had really depreciated. Plus, a noise, groan, and low pitch ping in the steering column when doing low speed turns, or sitting still and rocking the steering wheel back & forth. ABout 113,000 miles.

$456.20

Part & Labor:

Bracket SPO BB5Z 18183 A was $54.10 (need 2) for a $108.20 total
Labor units 3 for $348.00

Noise is now gone. Ride quality now back to normal. Very happy, but wished this failed under warranty.

Stabilizer End Links still need to be replaced. But this is a less $$$ repair.
I am having the same problem. Poorly made and Ford basically wants me to pay it all. Complained to the dealer and no response. Sad Ford Motor Company !

I am having the same problem. Poorly made and Ford basically wants me to pay it all. Complained to the dealer and no response. Sad Ford Motor Company !
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm see that you are likely out of warranty and guess you didn't get the ESP warranty. Not sure why Ford should cover a suspension part that is no longer under warranty. They have to draw the line some where. That is one reason they offer extended warranties. Depending on how far out warranty a vehicle is, some dealers do perform 'good will' repairs for a lesser cost but that would be up to the individual dealership.

Peter

I am experiencing this issue as well, at 113K miles. I can see the top of the strut (from below) hang up and then go "TWANG" when turning the wheel, so it sounds like the mount needs to be replaced. I actually did buy the ExtraCare when I bought the vehicle a year ago, so I am still under that. However, I've been informed that even though ExtraCare coverage states "MacPherson struts", that it does not cover the strut mounts. Not the answer I wanted to hear, so now I need figure out if I want to take it to Ford to fix, or try to do it myself.

I'm surprised they cover the struts honestly. if they are going to cover the struts they probably will cover themounts and bearings. good luck with it either way though.

Interesting I found this post. My 14' is making the same noise!!! I'm livid, only 59k easy miles and it knocks and clunks over every little bump from pulling into a driveway to a small crack in the road at low speeds. Dealer says no coverage. 36k mile coverage and that's that. NOT HAPPY.

Interesting I found this post. My 14' is making the same noise!!! I'm livid, only 59k easy miles and it knocks and clunks over every little bump from pulling into a driveway to a small crack in the road at low speeds. Dealer says no coverage. 36k mile coverage and that's that. NOT HAPPY.

is this on your interceptor utility or on your personal car. How old and did you get the extended warranty on it.

If on the police utility then I suspect that warranty is very different and might not last that long. If on the personal car and you don't have the extended warranty then the dealer is somewhat correct. IF your warranty time and miles has elapsed.

However is there any sort of service letter or bulletin on the front suspension noise/strut bearing wear?

OH and do you have any modifications to the car?

Has it been diagnosed as the bearings? There is this as well; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/2011-explorer-tsbs-ssms.343204/#post-3511715

Peter

I will be going to a local dealer to try and sort this out. Hopefully I can get this resolved, thanks for the replies! peterk9 always coming in handy!

Does ford service still monitor the forums? I'm having this issue, brought it to the dealer and they said the clunking in hearing is normal. Makes no sense to me. Sounds to me like pushing it off until it's out of warranty. Only 17000 miles on it. Also did the TSB on my heated and cooled seats which didn't fix a thing. Joy

Does ford service still monitor the forums? I'm having this issue, brought it to the dealer and they said the clunking in hearing is normal. Makes no sense to me. Sounds to me like pushing it off until it's out of warranty. Only 17000 miles on it. Also did the TSB on my heated and cooled seats which didn't fix a thing. Joy

In general clunking noises coming from the front end suspension are not normal, but a common problem with this generation of Explorer. If the clunking noise is easy to generate I would take it to another dealership or two in effort to get a second or third opinion, and/or if other dealerships are not close by, take to a reputable independent repair shop to get their feedback. There are several threads that talk about this topic that you may want to read.

Yes they do but they also monitor other sites so I recommend sending them a PM to ensure they are aware of your concern.

Peter

I know this thread my be old but I'm having the same noise/problem with the front strut mounts. WARDSTER, wrote that he replaced the existing one with the Police Interceptor versions on is '13 XLT. (DG1Z-18183-B). The question I have is will that work on 2011 Limited? The original part number for the 2011 is (BB5Z-18183-A). If that doesn't work what about replacing everything, Strut,Spring and Mount

I know this thread my be old but I'm having the same noise/problem with the front strut mounts. WARDSTER, wrote that he replaced the existing one with the Police Interceptor versions on is '13 XLT. (DG1Z-18183-B). The question I have is will that work on 2011 Limited? The original part number for the 2011 is (BB5Z-18183-A). If that doesn't work what about replacing everything, Strut,Spring and Mount
Why not use the original part number? They are both listed at $54.57.

Peter

Why not use the original part number? They are both listed at $54.57.

Peter

I am making an assumption that the PIU version is stronger because the server duty that a police vehicle goes through. If not why would they change the part if the original part would do the job.

I'd like to chime in, my clunk was lower control arm bushings that were completely deteriorated. Needs to be replaced as entire arm/assembly.

I am making an assumption that the PIU version is stronger because the server duty that a police vehicle goes through. If not why would they change the part if the original part would do the job.
The complete PIU suspension is different and tuned differently. Therefore you would probably have to change several parts which would be much more expensive than just replacing the current part(s).

Peter

So I changed both mounts. Some notes if you are interested. The factory mounts use plastic bushings, just basically two flat pieces greased up. The Motorcraft replacement mounts use steel ball bearings. However they are not sealed bearings and the two haves come apart rather easily. I found myself picking up several of the balls with my magnet and re-greasing them with bearing grease (I hope I found them all).

Notes on the job. #1 the springs are really long when uncompressed, make sure your strut machine is set to allow a few inches of travel beyond the top of the assembled strut. #2 try to get the strut as level as possible if using a strut machine and put it in with the hub attachment points facing away from you. The strut tends to tilt inside the spring without the upper mount in place due to the angle at which the spring sits in the strut and it is easier to push the lower part of the strut than pull it while trying to install the mount. #3 support the lower control arm and brake assembly with a jack. If it sags too far things loosen up and it will be hard to put them all back in place.

It took me 5 hours to do the first side while learning those three lessons. It only took 2 hours to do the other side, would have been less if not for the little bearing balls.

Do you have the Motorcraft part number for the ball bearing alternative? I had a mechanic replace front strut assemblies twice with the plastic bearings and both sets began binding and making noise when turning within 100 miles of install. Hoping the ball bearing version is the fix.

Do you have the Motorcraft part number for the ball bearing alternative? I had a mechanic replace front strut assemblies twice with the plastic bearings and both sets began binding and making noise when turning within 100 miles of install. Hoping the ball bearing version is the fix.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After 170k on my 2011 I am in need of another set of strut bearings. Looks like they only last about 80k.

Back