Symptoms of bad front strut bearings? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Symptoms of bad front strut bearings?

We live on a gravel road, and the pot holes, are sometimes big enough to swallow a house by the time spring returns. No matter how slowly we travel the road, it takes its toll on the suspension parts. Before we moved here, and lived in the city, suspension parts lasted a long time. No longer now, because of the type of road that we live on. I don't believe that time or mileage are as much a factor as the use and abuse that poor quality roads have on the cars. One more reason that I am either going to trade after a few years, or buy an ESP.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any of you ever cut open a strut or shock absorber? any of you see how they are made.

you hit one hole or plate or some other crap in the road hard enough and you'll crack the seal, or you'll damage the shaft. it can't really be helped.

struts are worse because the body has to do double duty. a Strut is a shock absorber that also supports the suspension and creates the other anchor point in the car for your steering knuckle. there are a lot of forces on the strut and it does a lot. it has to turn with your wheels, while at the same time constrain the springs and still keep alignment for the wheel forces during travel.

your alignment is keyed to the strut location and angle.

so they can wear out fairly quick it happens. Extreme cold , harsh roads, manufacturing defects, bad wheels, out of round tires, there are plenty of factors that can lead to early strut failures.

This is why they are wear items in warranties. if you get a new one - it's going to be covered for a year. There was a time with dampers were purposely rebuildable. they worn out quickly and often had to be re-built.

modern mono-tube devices live far longer than that, yes even at 37K miles and some 3 years. But they aren't meant to be rebuilt, rather recycled.

I would have them check your rear dampers as well. they might be fine, but between now and 60K miles expect to replace them too.

I called the dealer this morning to see when they could get it in - thinking it would be next year. Much to my surprise, they said to bring it in Monday and they could replace the struts in a day. Would give me a loaner, too. I won't celebrate until it's done and there are zero issues - I know better; however, it's off to a good start.

I plan to have them replace the two front struts, strut mounts and sway bar links. The bushings appear to be fine. I will have them check the rear shocks, but I looked and they are not leaking.

Shumax

At the dealer since Monday morning. Since the last post, I climbed under the back and noticed the rear shocks were leaking a bit, too! Woah.

The vehicle has the ESP warranty and, to my surprise, the struts are covered but the shocks are not. I consider it a win that the struts are covered. So, new shocks, mounting hardware and then the front strut mount/bushing are on me. That and an alignment.

Will be done tomorrow afternoon. Should feel like a much different vehicle. I'm still a bit frustrated that I'm replacing shocks and struts at 38,000 miles.

Shumax

I would question about the front strut mount/bushing cost being put on you. If they are bad, then they should be replaced with the struts. Also, if an alignment is required as a result, of the warranty work, it should be covered also. I would put a call into the FORD Customer Service and get their take on this matter.

That's a good point. I will bring that up when I am in...

Don't trust the service writer to be totally truthful with you, because customer paid service is more $$$$ than warranty paid service. The service writer needs to keep the $$$$ rolling in, if he is to make his monthly bonus check. That is why I would check with Ford customer service before the car is brought in. You are way ahead knowing for certain exactly what is covered, and what is not. Also, if you need any other services while it is in the air, then ask for them beforehand, to make sure that hey get done at the same time, because some tasks require the wheels to be taken off, such as brake pad replacement, or tire rotation.

Got the vehicle back a few hours ago. They replaced the front strut mounts/bearings, struts and associated bolts under warranty - including the alignment. The rear shocks were something they charged for. They came with the bolts and bushings, so nothing extra to add. Two shocks and the labor. They told me the sway bar links (front and back) were still firm and no need to replace.

Keep in mind that I picked this vehicle up used at 34k. It rode more harshly than the Limited; however, I attributed that to the "Sport" nature of this model. When it started to make noise, I questioned things. Then, when I saw the struts leaking, I knew something wasn't right.

Let me tell you - with these new parts, it rides exceptionally well. I only put 12 miles on it so far, but it absorbs bumps and irregularities in the pavement I drive on normally with far less drama than it did before I took it in.

The only gripe that I have is that the steering wheel was not totally centered when the alignment was done. It does not pull, but the "center" point needed to make the car track straight places the steering wheel to the left a few degrees. Not a huge deal, but I notice it. May have it adjusted when I have the oil changed next. It's a simple toe adjustment on the tie rod ends, so it wouldn't take them long to do it.

Will report back after I put some miles on it; however, for now, I am very impressed with the change in the ride.

Shumax

I would report the steering wheel not being centered to them immediately. If they did a 4 wheel alignment, and the steering wheel wasn't centered, then the entire alignment may not have been done correctly. In short, unless you have someone following behind you, you have no way to know if the car is "dog tracking". A good alignment tech will always drive the car when it is finished, just to make sure that the wheel is properly aligned with the rest of the car. Who know, he might not even checked the toe. Today, most alignment machines will print out a before and after report. If the machine that they used, does so, then I would ask for one when you bring it back to get the alignment corrected. If one tech were to do an alignment on another tech's car, do you think that it were handed back with an out of "sync" alignment? Just because it was done under the warranty, doesn't mean that they should do shoddy work.

Good points. I have the alignment sheet and the straight track is almost dead in the middle of the range - front and rear. When I say it's "off," it's only a hair. Likely is the case most people would not even notice. I'm particular about it, so I do.

Oil change in 1,500 and I will have them fix it. Call them Monday to alert them.

Thanks again,
Shumax

Back