Front suspension advice | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front suspension advice

If you think there is a wheel bearing that's bad, load up each side of the vehicle in a tight highway speed corner. When my driver side bearing was bad, the noise stoped when all the weight shifted to that side on a banked highway corner. That's how I figured out which side was bad, I then bought a cheap moog wheel bearing assembly installed it and that fixed my problem. These trucks ride worse than most f350 and 450s I've driven it's just how they are.
My 95 XLT RWD 5 spd is the 1st body on frame and 2nd (72 Mustang) vehicle with leaf springs. It is a chore to drive on rough pavement or dirt. Has the 3.73 (?) LSD (worn out?) on the optional 235/75-15 tires. Wheel hop off road is especially disappointing, but not nearly as much as the loose rear end in the wet. Any ideas on how to tame these issues? Tires are new and shocks seem fine.
I also can't get my OBD II code reader to pull a code from the OBD II "outlet". Have an old Equus EEC-IV ECM code reader I've got to repair an easy fix that I will try on it as soon as I do. The check engine lite comes on within a few minutes of drive. Once or twice on start-up. Gauges read normal, although on occasion I'll get a VERY rough idle that's actually stalled it twice. Thanks,
Lynn

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your 95 is OBDI. 235/75/15 was the standard tire. If you’re a 2 door, and have the composite mono leaves I’d start there.

My 95 XLT RWD 5 spd is the 1st body on frame and 2nd (72 Mustang) vehicle with leaf springs. It is a chore to drive on rough pavement or dirt. Has the 3.73 (?) LSD (worn out?) on the optional 235/75-15 tires. Wheel hop off road is especially disappointing, but not nearly as much as the loose rear end in the wet. Any ideas on how to tame these issues? Tires are new and shocks seem fine.
I also can't get my OBD II code reader to pull a code from the OBD II "outlet". Have an old Equus EEC-IV ECM code reader I've got to repair an easy fix that I will try on it as soon as I do. The check engine lite comes on within a few minutes of drive. Once or twice on start-up. Gauges read normal, although on occasion I'll get a VERY rough idle that's actually stalled it twice. Thanks,
Lynn
If you have no luck otherwise, you can do the paper clip trick to pull the codes...just do a search for "pull codes OBD-I" or something similar on this forum...I know it's here somewhere. I drove a friend of mine crazy trying to pull the codes on my 95:)

Lynn
On my 95 XLT, I uses the OBD 1 connector in the engine compartment attached too the fuse box. Someone stated on the forum that the OBD2 connector under the steering wheel is for ABS codes. My reader could not communicate with the ECU. I also tried a high end OBD 2 reader same results. You could not get the vehicle before February from a dealer. Each dealer had a show room model. I saw one or two around. I try two buy one at the auto show, and from a few dealership with no luck. My car was ordered February built in March of 1995, received in April of 1995. In July or august they offer the 1996 models. I received notice there was a delay in manufacturing because on part availability. A few features ( catalog listed) I want that were listed as options, where not available before the 1996 models ( paint colors, engine size).

The cvt axle nut must be torqued! It holds the wheel bearings together
I believe it is 195-210 ft lbs

Could easily be your noise

In regard to the oe's comment about ride quality:
We bought our '95 when it was 2 years old. I thought it rode pretty stiff (I was used to older Ford vans. When I finally changed out the original shocks, I looked for something that might ride a little smoother. I put on a set of OE Spectrums from AAP and was very surprised at the difference. Just saying, shocks can make a difference, especially when you're replacing worn out shocks.

Over the past month i have been through hell with this suspension. it started as the brakes, which turned into bearings, i didn't tighten a bracket tight enough and i lost a bolt on the way to work. my company had it towed to our performance shop, i ended up getting a new bolt and installing it myself, then i discovered my upper ball joints were history it took me 2 weeks to get those replaced . since all of that this truck rides like crap. i feel every bump on the road there's noise almost a bearing one. i had my coworker drive it today to see what she thought she is bettor at cars than anyone i know she said something isn't right and i need OT park it till i can have it check out,. i know it needs a front end rebuild its a 99 with 122K miles and pretty much original everything. i know the shocks are dead, the tires are pretty cracked i just don't have the funds to do everything let alone pay a shop . is there any tricks or something i may not of done to cause this noise and rough ride? and no the hub nut is not to tight and i tightened the UC bolts when the truck was on the ground

Seems to me you already know what to do, As you said in your original post
i know it needs a front end rebuild its a 99 with 122K miles and pretty much original everything.
Im not a car guy. but even I know, that they have to be maintained, And like the old commercial said...."pay me now or pay me later"

I remember in 1972, my VW Bus needed a new engine. I didnt have the money to fix it, but I did have a job. I did have a job, so It was easier for me to scrap it and buy a new car (no money down and regular payments)

I wish I still had that VW, but you gotta do what you gotta do

We bought our '95 when it was 2 years old. I thought it rode pretty stiff (I was used to older Ford vans. When I finally changed out the original shocks, I looked for something that might ride a little smoother. I put on a set of OE Spectrums from AAP and was very surprised at the difference. Just saying, shocks can make a difference, especially when you're replacing worn out shocks.
I use those in the front of all mine, and the matching style of coil-over overload shocks to level the rear out. Works great, handles well, rides alright, keeps my frontend parts from wearing prematurely. I wanted to try more exotic shocks like Koni or Bilstein, but these work pretty well, and much cheaper

A lot of the dealers where ordering the All terrain tire with the explorer. The standard tire was a passenger tire. All terrain tire where all part of the tire recall

A lot of the dealers where ordering the All terrain tire with the explorer. The standard tire was a passenger tire. All terrain tire where all part of the tire recall
All of these Explorers came with the ATX recalled tire. After the recall they were suppose to only put P radials on them, and not the LT tires, and only in the factory size.

All of these Explorers came with the ATX recalled tire. After the recall they were suppose to only put P radials on them, and not the LT tires, and only in the factory size.
I don't know what the replacement where. I have the factory standard tire on my, which were not recall.

What kind of tires does a Ford Explorer have?
These tires were original equipment on certain Ford Explorer, Mercury Mountaineer, Ford Ranger pick up trucks, and the Mazda Navajo and B-series pick up trucks. These tires were also sold in the aftermarket and may be on any light truck or SUV that takes the P235/75R15 tire size.
Firestone Tire Recall | National Highway Traffic Safety ...
one.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle-Safety/Tires/Firestone-Tire-Recall
See all results for this question
Are there any recalls on Bridgestone tires?
At 11:00 am on Wednesday, August 9, 2000, Bridgestone/Firestone (Firestone) and Ford announced jointly that Firestone will recall approximately 14.4 million tires that contain a safety-related defect.
Are there any recalls on Firestone ATX tires?
The recall will cover all P235/75 R15 Firestone ATX and ATX II tires (from 1991 to the present) and all P235/75R15 Wilderness AT tires (from 1996 to the present) manufactured at Firestone's Decatur, IL plant.
Are there any Wilderness AT tires that have been recalled?
There are Wilderness AT, Wilderness HT, and Wilderness LE tires. Only certain Wilderness AT tires are involved in the recall. If you have a Wilderness tire other than one that says Wilderness AT on the sidewall, your tire is not included.

Same model - 2000 OHV XLS.
Two hoses connect to a plastic box below battery. The box stubs may crack. I sawed one off a fitted a new hose on both.
I'll check that.

I don't know what the replacement where. I have the factory standard tire on my, which wad not recall.

What kind of tires does a Ford Explorer have?
These tires were original equipment on certain Ford Explorer, Mercury Mountaineer, Ford Ranger pick up trucks, and the Mazda Navajo and B-series pick up trucks. These tires were also sold in the aftermarket and may be on any light truck or SUV that takes the P235/75R15 tire size.
Are there any recalls on Bridgestone tires?
At 11:00 am on Wednesday, August 9, 2000, Bridgestone/Firestone (Firestone) and Ford announced jointly that Firestone will recall approximately 14.4 million tires that contain a safety-related defect.
Are there any recalls on Firestone ATX tires?
The recall will cover all P235/75 R15 Firestone ATX and ATX II tires (from 1991 to the present) and all P235/75R15 Wilderness AT tires (from 1996 to the present) manufactured at Firestone's Decatur, IL plant.
Are there any Wilderness AT tires that have been recalled?
There are Wilderness AT, Wilderness HT, and Wilderness LE tires. Only certain Wilderness AT tires are involved in the recall. If you have a Wilderness tire other than one that says Wilderness AT on the sidewall, your tire is not included.
I assume you mean had them. The standard tire size was 235/75/15. They could have just been ones made in another plant. It doesn’t mean they weren’t all terrain tires. It’s pretty irrelevant anyways. Tire pressure and ply count determine how stiff a tire rides. The piss poor rose was exactly why they tried running the tires at a ridiculous 26psi, which really bit them in the ass.

The Firestone recall was announced when I was on vacation with my mother in MN. We had driven 1106 miles there in my 93 Explorer Limited. I always kept proper air in the tires, and never what the stupid door jamb recommended. I learned what proper tire pressure was from my dad, and with my first car. I had about 32-34psi in those Firestone's, 34 in fronts and 32 in the rears. We drove it home and gave my aunt a ride to GA on the way, so a fully loaded truck. The fuel mileage was right at 20mpg going up, and only about 17.5mpg coming back. I put another 18 months on those tires before going in for the recall. Some people got Michelin's as replacements, I got some lesser brand, and they lasted about 3-4 years.

Back