Front suspension-is this a good kit? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front suspension-is this a good kit?

Thanks, but it just comes up with a blank shipping address page for me. I think I would have to be logged in with your account to see any more.
And I do have a valid code for them, I bought some stuff recently for another car from them. :)
Russ

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?ckout=1

Check out what I did :)

Ok it's 180.00 but i think there's a rockauto discount code floating around a thread on here somewhere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, but it just comes up with a blank shipping address page for me. I think I would have to be logged in with your account to see any more.
And I do have a valid code for them, I bought some stuff recently for another car from them. :)
Russ

Odd, if you scroll down the page the parts list should be there. I don't have an account on there.

Anyhow, all the parts (Moog) can be had for under $200

That is a good deal, the local parts house charges $300.00 USD for just the LCAs.

Odd, if you scroll down the page the parts list should be there. I don't have an account on there.

Anyhow, all the parts (Moog) can be had for under $200

I don't know, all I see is the blanks and for subtotal there is 0.00 and same for total. Maybe it is the work computer I am on. ???
Thanks,
Russ

If you use IE check the top where address is - if is shown a blue circle cut in half, deselect it (click on it).

Oh, one more question. Is there any reason not to remove the lower control arms and use a hydrallic press to remove/install the balljoints? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have never played with 4wd stuff before.

The ball joints come out and go in pretty easily. I don't think it would be worth the effort unless you were replacing the LCA bushings as well.

I did my front end 2yrs in a row. new england roads suck?
If you remove the lower control arms to use that press, make sure you have the rool for the torsion bars.
If you're doing the work yourself, take your time. replace everything you can at one time.
As for buying the parts, I am not a rockauto fan, I bought parts from them in the past, and waited over a week for them to get to me.
good luck, if you go with a shop, make sure they use quality parts.

Guess I should update this.
I just ordered a whole load of Moog parts from Amazon.com. New upper arms, lower bushings, tie rod ends, caster kit, sway bar links, etc. Pretty much everything that can be replaced.
Thanks,
Russ

Guess I should update this.
I just ordered a whole load of Moog parts from Amazon.com. New upper arms, lower bushings, tie rod ends, caster kit, sway bar links, etc. Pretty much everything that can be replaced.
Thanks,
Russ

That sounds like a nice set of parts! Care to share a link?

Here's the list.
I know there are a couple of things I am short on, they didn't have enough.

Delivery estimate: Dec. 13, 2012 1 "Moog K80068 Front Upper Control Arm and Ball Joint"
Automotive; $77.84
In Stock
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
1 "Moog K80139 Sway Bar Link Kit"
Automotive; $23.12
In Stock
1 "Wagner BH139250 Brake Hose"
Automotive; $24.26
In Stock
1 "Moog K80025 Sway Bar Bushing Kit"
Automotive; $12.22
In Stock
1 "KD Tools 3321 Ford Fuel Line Quick Disconnect"
Misc.; $12.72
In Stock
1 "Wagner BH138074 Brake Hose"
Automotive; $16.49
In Stock
2 "Moog EV317 Steering Center Link Tie Rod End"
Automotive; $36.21
In Stock
2 "Moog K8695T Lower Ball Joint"
Automotive; $30.15
In Stock
1 "Moog K80065 Cam Bolt Kit"
Automotive; $23.79
In Stock
1 "Prothane 6-1132-BL Black .765" Rear Sway Bar Bushing Kit"
Automotive; $26.97
In Stock
1 "Power Stop K1861 Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit"
Automotive; $260.55
In Stock
1 "Raybestos H7299 Professional Grade Parking Brake Hardware Kit"
Automotive; $19.59
In Stock
1 "Moog K8708T Control Arm with Ball Joint"
Automotive; $57.84
In Stock
1 "Purolator F64711 Fuel Filter"
Automotive; $12.33
In Stock
2 "Moog K7275 Sway Bar End Link Kit"
Automotive; $11.26
In Stock

Delivery estimate: Dec. 17, 2012 1 "Wagner BH134795 Brake Hose"
Automotive; $18.22
In Stock

Delivery estimate: Dec. 14, 2012 2 "Moog K8834 Bushing Kit for select Ford/Lincoln/Mazda/Mercury models"
Automotive; $16.66
In Stock
1 "Raybestos 701PG Professional Grade Parking Brake Shoe Set - Drum in Hat"
Automotive; $22.80
In Stock
2 "Moog ES3302RL Steering Center Link Tie Rod End"
Automotive; $27.36
In Stock

Holy crap! I thought you meant you found like a bulk package with everything in it :l
Thanks for all the info!

I wish. That would be too easy. Only kits I found were the cheap garbage parts. And if I hadn't of asked here that is what I would have gotten just for the convienience of it.

Russ

Sounds good. Are you gonna be doing all the work yourself?

yep, all three of us. Me, myself, and I. :eek:
I can't wait. The Ex is outside, and it is not getting any warmer.
I need to move my Lemans body out of the garage to wheel the Ex in, but I don't know if I have the energy for all of that work. But I had to wait until today to have the money to buy the parts.

Russ

I wish. That would be too easy. Only kits I found were the cheap garbage parts. And if I hadn't of asked here that is what I would have gotten just for the convienience of it.

Russ

Youre better off this way

Regarding MOOG quality. I had installed MOOG problem solver lower ball joints in an 2008 Ford Explorer in beg.of May 2012 (both L/R). Now they seem to have totally failed, mileage is not more than 6000 miles, just city driving no offroad. It's about -20C (-4F) in here, and they are clunking badly.
Initially I purchased them because the forum had good feedback, but now having read other forums it seems their quality is not so good anymore?
They have a nozzle for oiling, is it possible that water is getting in there?

Regarding MOOG quality. I had installed MOOG problem solver lower ball joints in an 2008 Ford Explorer in beg.of May 2012 (both L/R). Now they seem to have totally failed, mileage is not more than 6000 miles, just city driving no offroad. It's about -20C (-4F) in here, and they are clunking badly.
Initially I purchased them because the forum had good feedback, but now having read other forums it seems their quality is not so good anymore?
They have a nozzle for oiling, is it possible that water is getting in there?
Have you greased them? It's required after installation. All suspension parts WILL fail without lubrication. :eek:

........They have a nozzle for oiling, is it possible that water is getting in there?

Tmaret, that is a grease fitting. Like the previous poster
said, it must be greased after installation.
That's why the Moog part failed.

So far I have a lot of good luck with Moog aftermarket parts for my 98 Sport 4x4. I travel 130 miles daily to and from work, and half of it is on rough oil field dirt roads. i was busting up my end links like no tomorrow, until I swapped out with Moog ones... They hold up nicely!

If I get stranded out where I live, I am done for! So I get the best I can!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they weren't greased right after installation, as my expectation was that they come pre-greased and additional greasing needed only after some mileage. Say once or twice a year.

Back