• Register Today It's free!

front washer not working

tweety

Reaction score
City, State
just leaving your sister's
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 sport
Ok guys, here's one. Front washer pump stopped working last week..thought maybe it was frozen but..no hum nothing when actuated...so checked #12 fuse..fine. The wipers work and rear washer also works. Checked the forum someone said check the small relay box under air cleaner. Opened the box, photo I found in the forum shows two relays side by side in the back..one on passenger side is supposed to be front. I only had one relay on the other side closest to engine. How does the front pump suddenly stop working and when I open the sealed box..no relay even on that side?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are the wipers wiping when you hit the MFS squirter button?

First make sure the lines didn't freeze from using a summer blend of washer fluid. Then take a look at this walk through I wrote up for troubleshooting the blower motor: Link particularly at Picture 12.
Since we have the same year you were probably looking at a relay box picture of 1998 or newer. The wires on the bottom of that box can come loose or the relay can go bad. The pinout I have is not easily understood so you will have to look. Also check the connector on the pump which can be seen in the top right corner of Picture 17b (the two Black/White and Green wires).

thanks guys...

yes wipers start wiping when I hit the MFS squirter

Would lines freezing cause the pump to not make any noise at all?
anyway, according to photo 12, (great write-up btw)..the relay I'm missing is the fog lamp relay.
I switched the front washer pump relay with the horn relay from the power distribution box..and the horn worked so I switched them back. I also already pulled the connector to the washer pump and tried cleaning up the contacts....only thing I haven't done is connect a voltmeter to the connector while actuating the MFS switch and see if power is getting to the pump...(couldn't talk the wife into playing out in the cold with me)

Would lines freezing cause the pump to not make any noise at all?

Probably not. It would probably still make an electrical whining noise. Frozen line would just destroy it's inner parts and cause it not to function.

anyway, according to photo 12, (great write-up btw)..the relay I'm missing in the fog lamp relay.

Wouldn't surprise me if you vehicle came without fog lights.

only thing I haven't done is connect a voltmeter to the connector while actuating the MFS switch and see if power is getting to the pump

DISCLAIMER: This is for the year 1997 ONLY. I am not a professional and obviously all of my advice may be erroneous, dangerous, faulty, explosive, etc. I'm talking to you lurkers.

Power should flow from interior fuse #12 (10 A) to Pin 1 and Pin 5 of the front washer pump relay. Pin 5 to Pin 2 is the relay coil. Pin 1 to Pin 3 is closed when the coil is activated, and power flows across these two to the washer pump motor. Then from the washer pump motor to ground. Pin 4 is unused and where the switch (pole) sits when normally open.

You can manually switch on the pump motor by jumping the slots for Pin 1 and Pin 3 with an 18 AWG or lower gauge wire. I would not do this for more than a few seconds (around 5) because the pump doesn't normally switch on for longer than that. This will allow you to see if the broken wire is on the power or coil side of the relay wiring.

Probably is multifunction switch, ck power at the motor first.

latest...

switch seems to work...get about 11.8v reading at motor connector when I activate switch. Also have another pump which works when connected straight to battery but when I connect it to the motor connector..no go? Cleaned all terminals and can't figure this one out. Is there some switch internal in the motor body that requires 12v minimum before motor is activated?

You get 11.8V at the washer pump connector when the MFS is activated and the pump doesn't run?

You get 11.8V at the washer pump connector when the MFS is activated and the pump doesn't run?

yes, I can't understand it either.....any ideas?

Check relay under air cleaner. Farthest one in the back, driver's side. When you push the button do you hear a click?

Try connecting the known good motor to the washer pump connector, but do not install it into the tank. Leave it sitting out and have a helper activate the pump from the MFS. Put your ear close to the washer pump and listen to see if it comes on.

Replaced the WRONG relay. Problem solved!!

hey that was premature....no problem solved.

I started this thread and problem continues for me. (Found a work-around it consist of an old windex bottle filled with windshield wiper fluid, me hanging my arm out the window and several curse words.) I've been busy tackling bigger drive train related problems and this was back burnered..now happy to focus again on something small like this.

Back